Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
Huh, says who? I had an oil leak when I first bought my car...a few synthetic changes and the leak was no more....Id have to disagree w/ you, I definately believe it helps recondition seals along w/ cleaning out previous wear/sludge.
Synthetic oil doesn't condition seals, in fact it makes them return to their original size since dyno oil makes them swell, which is why sometimes leaks will occur. The advantage of synthetic over dino oil is it has smaller molecules to lubricate better, and it can withstand higher heat and longer service intervals than dyno oil before breaking down and losing it's lubricating ability. This is why it's recommended over dino oil in motors that are run hard.

Sludge has nothing to do with wear, sludge is caused by the breakdown of over-stressed oil that's been in the motor for too long. Once it's there it's very hard for any oil to remove it from the motor no matter how good the solvency of the oil is. You really need to read about oil when you get a chance instead of posting false info in public forum.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Omega Doom
I use the high mileage Valvoline 10w30
I have a 2000 Buick Century with 75,500 on the clock and I have been using that. Love it, I also used that in the past with other Buicks that I have taken to well over 250,000 Miles (88 LeSabre and 87 Bonneville).

Always ran on conventional.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
Synthetic oil doesn't condition seals, in fact it makes them return to their original size since dyno oil makes them swell, which is why sometimes leaks will occur. The advantage of synthetic over dino oil is it has smaller molecules to lubricate better, and it can withstand higher heat and longer service intervals than dyno oil before breaking down and losing it's lubricating ability. This is why it's recommended over dino oil in motors that are run hard.

Sludge has nothing to do with wear, sludge is caused by the breakdown of over-stressed oil that's been in the motor for too long. Once it's there it's very hard for any oil to remove it from the motor no matter how good the solvency of the oil is. You really need to read about oil when you get a chance instead of posting false info in public forum.
http://caradvice.askpatty.com/ask_pa...otor-oils.html

False info. huh? refer to Q2....
Old 01-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Banned

as i've been told in my oils/fuels class, oil lubricated better with age, its just that the adative package wears out and allows sludging and the like to happen. Nothing wrong with dyno oil if changed at proper intervals. Some people (mainly the clueless) will put in synthetic oil and change it at 3000 miles. In these cars, running a good oil and regular oil changes will do just fine for 95 percent of us, since after all, most of these cars are regular street driven machines.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
If you want to go by what Patty says about oil then believe what you want. I read about oil at sites that are dedicated to oil testing like Bob Is The Oil Guy and so on. Maybe you should write Dear Abby and ask her about oil, lol
Old 01-10-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
If you want to go by what Patty says about oil then believe what you want. I read about oil at sites that are dedicated to oil testing like Bob Is The Oil Guy and so on. Maybe you should write Dear Abby and ask her about oil, lol
Nice try dope but the questions are being answered by an Exxon engine oil technical advisor...and Ive been a member of Bob the oil guy for years but thx for the info lol...maybe you should write to Dear Abby about accepting the fact that your wrong.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ pwned lol. The guy with the G8 has not been helping out much.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some oil companies have been caught making false claims about their products, so I have very little faith in what an Exxon employee says. And there's no need to call me derogatory names just because I proved you wrong.

Here's some info I found at an independent oil site:

On vehicles which have been lubricated with petroleum oils, seals and gaskets can begin to dry and crack. The reason you don't actually see leaks is because petroleum oils tend to burn off and leave sludge, grime and varnish on the inside of your engine. That's simply the nature of a petroleum oil's make-up. Some of the deposits end up around your seals and gaskets which actually plugs up the gaps which would have resulted in oil leaks.

"Well," you say, "I guess all of those synthetic oil nay-sayers were right. If petroleum oils keep my engine from leaking and synthetic oils might actually make it leak, I guess petroleum is the better oil."

Not even close. The fact is, it's a result of using petroleum oil instead of a high quality synthetic that resulted in dry and cracking seals & gaskets in the first place. So, for those people who use synthetic oils from the start (after a 3,000 to 5,000 mile break-in period), the problem never becomes an issue.

So, to wrap up. Petroleum oils can screw up your seals and gaskets and then fill the holes with gunk and deposits to cover their tracks. Synthetic oils come in and begin to clean up the place. Once it's clean, the holes might be exposed (if there were any) and the oil begins to leak.

One very important point to keep in mind is that if 100 cars were put in front of you (all older vehicles lubricated with petroleum oil), the switch to synthetic would probably cause less than five or 10 of them to leak. The odds are definitely in your favor.

Last edited by RedHotG8; 01-10-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil Change