Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start

So i parked my T/A WS6 about a week ago and it ran fine no funny noises. Went out to start it and nothing. You can hear the starter engaging and hitting the flywheel but the motor wont turn over. I can't turn the motor by hand clockwise at all but I can turn the motor backwards about 275 degrees before it hits a wall.
Any ideas on what i need to look for here?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your starter bolts and make sure they are both there and tight (not too tight its all aluminum),,If they are then Remove your starter and have a good look at it, also look at the mounting tabs on the block, look for any missing pieces, and for cracks, With the starter off, then put your trans in nuetral and turn your engine over by hand, if it turns all the way around It seems as though your starter is hanging up, Autozone can check it for free,, I really think your starter is the problem. If you cant turn your engine over with the starter out and the trans in nuetral, You have serious engine problems,,,,,But I dont think thats the case. Hope this helps, if not keep posting, if so Great..
Old 02-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Teching In

We thought it was the starter so we put a brand new one on. That isn't it. And with the starter taken off and the car in neutral you can only turn the motor about three quarters of one revolution before it hangs up.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is this an automatic or six speed, This problem seems to be getting serious, I would remove The accesory belt and every spark plug from the engine next. and then try to turn it again, listening for the noise that is the cause of the stop. Next you need to remove the inspection cover on the trans and inspect your flywheel, Have someone turn the engine while you look at it, Is it broken, or perhaps extremely warped, bent? Listen to the noise it has to be making when it stops, See if you can pinpoint where it is coming from. In the engine? In the trans area.
Still having the problem, Remove the valve covers, Look for a broken pushrod, or a bad rocker arm, Look at the valves, are they all still sitting where they are supposed to, is one broken, If you cant tell, back off your rocker arms, and move them to see if the top of the valve is broken, Look for anything that could have possibly fallen in the Cylinder or bottom end. If you cant find anything and the engine still wont turn all the way over, Then MY next step would be to remove the Transmission, All this is doing is being absolutely sure that the problem is in the engine or transmission. With the trans off the engine try to rotate the engine over again, If you still cant turn it all the way over, My friend you have a very big expensive problem, Meaning something is wrong in the bottom end. Possible complete rebuild time, I am sorry for you and your wallet in that case. Keep posting, I will continue to watch this post.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:04 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the very detailed response. I appreciate it a lot. But the car was outside in 10 degree weather with no way for me to get it into the garage. So it is at a repair shop now to be diagnosed. If it is anything on the drivetrain then i have a warranty that will replace it. But if its in the heads then i will have to fix that myself. So i am actually kinda hoping the bottom end is trashed. The car has 150K miles on it so i wouldn't mind a new block.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Keep postin, I am very curious whats causing this.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Will do, they were supposed to start the tear down this afternoon. So hopefully i will hear from them in the morning. It is an automatic btw.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:39 AM
Teching In

I talked to the shop today and they told me that one of the cylinders is full of antifreeze. But they haven't tore it down enough to find the cause. First thing that came to my mind was head gasket but when i checked the dipstick there wasnt any antifreeze on it. Any ideas? Gonna bug me all weekend thinking about it.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could just be the headgasket, thats the most common cause of this kind of problem, other causes could br cracked head, or cylinder, though not as common as the gasket. Hopefully thats all it is, I will say this that should not have caused the problem you had about not being able to turn the motor completely in either direction.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Launching!

hi,.
raron455 is on the money. i trust you had proper coolant/antifreeze mixture. hopefully you have a headgasket issue and not a block problem. you were experiencing what we call hydrolock!!!!we are praying that you will have minimal damage to your engine....did you have any issues prior to this problem?............good luck and have a blessed day!!!!!!!!!!keep the chin up.........captain jim
Old 02-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Teching In

No the car was running fine prior. I started it, moved it like 20 feet out of the way. Went out of town for a week and came back to a dead car. I am hoping it is just the head gasket and nothing else. But i never saw any white smoke and i didn't see any antifreeze in the oil. guess i will just have to wait until monday.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Well it wasn't antifreeze in the cylinder it was oil. Apparently a valve glide dropped and was letting oil get by the valve. Warranty won't cover it because its a wear and tear item they say. If they are gonna charge us too much to fix the heads at the machine shop we might just buy some used heads and put them on ourselves. The problem is that when im on here looking for heads all i see are numbers like 231s. And i am not sure which heads i need for my car. What ones can i put on a stock car that won't cause any problems.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

sorry to hear about the troubles,,as far as what heads will work,,241s will be fine on your car they are some of the better heads stock untouched. If your engine has perimeter bolt valve covers on it, You will have to buy a set of centerbolt valve covers, and coil brackets though, other than that its a direct swap.

Last edited by RARON455; 02-15-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Teching In

So the guy at the repair shop called my gf today and told her that the oil galleys are cracked and that some of the pistons are waddling around too much. I have very limited knowledge of the internals of a motor but it just doesn't sound right to me. Could that happen?