New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When did you start your build?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I bought a 99 ta the otherday... I'm new to the ls1 world myself but yet it runs in the family... My question is I would eventually like to turn the car into a drag car while still being street legal... Complete stocker with a4 at 72k miles. How long would you recommend before starting the build? I don't have a huge amount of money coming in each month so it's going to be a long process but I just want to know how long you would recommend using it as a daily driver and to what milage I should stop using as a dd

Basically asking how many miles dis you have when you started your mods? Lol
Old 03-26-2011, 05:27 PM
11 Second Club

when ever you have the money i would say, if i had the money to do my build id be on it
Old 03-26-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

know what you want and start buying the parts for it... once you have them all, start your build... had i done this, i would had a lot more money... it sucks when you have to backtrack on a build...
Old 03-27-2011, 07:42 AM
12 Second Club

Build it when you have the time/money/knowledge to do exactly what you want to do. You don't need any of us to tell you when you should start your own build.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

To answer your question, age/mileage don't matter for modding as long as the car was or is taken care of properly.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

start with boltons and go from there.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 20TA02
know what you want and start buying the parts for it... once you have them all, start your build... had i done this, i would had a lot more money... it sucks when you have to backtrack on a build...
THIS! Make you a plan of what you want the car to do HP goals, Track goals etc. Then make a list of the parts needed to get to your goal then Research. Research some more, then start buying and building.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zracer323
Build it when you have the time/money/knowledge to do exactly what you want to do. You don't need any of us to tell you when you should start your own build.
RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH! Dont do ANYTHING until you know what you want it to do! If its a DD/weekend car build something tolerable, if its a straight track car build it strong and durable, and have the trans./suspension set up to handle it. Dont set a budget until you know and understand the drawbacks and pros. of all of these things man. Ive burned myself before being impatient also. Call some of the shops that sponsor this great site and talk to the guys, most of them are all great OR I'm sure they wouldnt be on here. Ive got a 04 GTO and 67 Camaro Ive been planning stuff for and I havent touched a single bolt yet due to making sure Im headed the right way to my goals. Good luck man. Just ask as many questions as possible.