New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Z28 Build Direction

Old 04-10-2011, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Z28 Build Direction

Im looking for some advice on the direction I am going for a "fun DD"...
My last DD project is now waiting to get caged so God knows how far this will go.

Car is an 02 Z28 with 60k miles. I am buying it off a friend of a friend. It has the following already.

All Pro Heads
K&N CAI
40 Series FlowMaster Catback
JBA Shorties
HD Clutch (he says rated @750)
Tuned by Excelsior MS in SD on MD Dyno (380WHP)

I am looking to do the following

TFS 228/230 112LSA
FAST Intake Mani (92 or 102 - undecided)
FAST TB (Match above)
FAST Fuel Rail
??LB Injectors
SLP LM2 or MagnaFlow Catback
SLP Smooth Bellow
?? Replace Shorties with LT's ??
Bilsteins
Eibach Pro Kit
New Wheels (Undecided)
Federal 595R tires
Retune at either Excelsior or CMS (CMS is 2 exits from the house so most likely)

Thanks for the help... I have time to research.. stuck in Afghanistan...
Any advice on what I am missing besides a 12 bolt.. Ill replace it when I break it.. Any particular brand choices over what I have listed?
Old 04-10-2011, 07:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like a good build to me. you definitely want to ditch the shorties and flowmaster exhaust. i would advise against the LM series exhaust unless you like extremely loud cars. you dont need a smooth bellow. the 102 fast is overkill for a stock displacement ls1. where are you at in afghan im at camp leatherneck. and i would definitely have CMS do the tune. they are the best around
Old 04-10-2011, 08:05 AM

Im in Shindand but I know a few people out in Leatherneck.. A couple of Evo buddies. Ill most likely go with Magnaflow as Ive used them on every car I've had. My old roomate had a 6.0 GTO with all SLP and it sounded great to me. Im not worried really about how loud it is. Im deaf anyway - damn helicopters.

Well I am trying to do as much research as possible. Shot CMS an email to pick their brains. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:34 AM
12 Second Club

A FAST 102 is fine for a LS1. Definitly get some longtubes and Magnaflow. Ditch the K&N for an FTP 102mm lid and a ram air setup. Sounds like a pretty good setup overall.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

looks like a good setup
Old 04-10-2011, 11:21 AM

Thanks guys.. appreciate the comments..

Nothing missing...

Im looking at the FTP 102mm lid right now...
Old 04-10-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its an 02, you have the LS6 intake, save all that money on the intake/injectors blah blah blah. I say get some longtubes and the LM2 (great exhaust setup!) and save the cash for some suspension mods! Lotsa power and a stock suspension.....maybe some sway bars/sub frame connectors/torque arms.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:35 AM

Oh I am a suspension guy.. My Evo sits on Eibach Remote resevoirs with sways and its going in for a hard bushing kit. I plan on putting a dime or 2 into the suspension. Nothing too ridiculous but enough to keep me happy.. I see there arent too many coilover setups for the car, so what is everyone usually run on..
Old 04-10-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't bother lowering these cars, as soon as you have some LTs you are gonna wish you were stock height, unless you live on glassy smooth roads.

Guys usually run strano suspension, seems like the eibach cars are so low, I would be worried about my exhaust.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:18 PM

Yeah Ill def look into that... I just cant stand being able to roll a bowling ball between the fender and tire. Im sure Ill figure something out...
Old 04-10-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks pretty nice overall (definitely looks like you're not a newbie, lol).

As far as suspension, if you're lowering and have the cash, I'd go for Koni's instead of Bilsteins, as they have adjustable rebound and cope much better with lower suspension travel that comes from lowering springs. If you're more into drag, there are options like Afco/Strange shocks, but they're not the best option if it's mostly a street car (just the way they work, not a whole lot of dampening for street use). Also, being Pro-kits are notorious for spring sag in the rear and sometimes mismatched rates, I'd go for Strano springs. They lower around 1.2", and get great reviews for their ride/handling (they were developed by a 13 (or 14) time SCCA champ (Sam Strano, a sponsor on here). A torque arm, well matched sway bars, LCA's, and either an adjustable PHB or Watts link should finish the suspension off pretty well (once again, depends on what you want out of it and how much money you're going to spend on it).

Otherwise, as mentioned, looks like you got a good list going!
Old 04-10-2011, 11:02 PM

Thanks for the info.. I am looking forward to getting home and modding this thing and teaching my boys about cars...
Old 04-11-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wish my daddy never taught me about cars. Id have a slow, reliable, boring camry and a full wallet....

Look at me now, 02 Z28, 6 speed and having so much fun, I smile everytime I get in the car! My wallet also makes a smiley face when I open it, and a big old gap with no green.

Teach those kids young!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:45 PM

Oh I do.. I have a picture of my 5 year old with my 12ga and my almost 3 year old help cleaning my .38. Guns and cars from an early age.. no girl pants or makeup on my boys....lol

Search this Thread