Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

complete instructions online to rebuild a sbc 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default complete instructions online to rebuild a sbc 350

are there any websites online that go through a step by step process of rebuilding a small block chevy 350? i cant seem to find any, without having to order a book on how to do so, im new with old school v-8's, i have lots of experience with rotary engines and other import engine (honda,mazda,toyota), but i just want everything done right, this is a whole new motor to me, i bought a sbc 350 bored.30 over with pistons and a 350 crank installed, i tearing it all apart in a couple days and having the block tanked, i want about 400 hp, and 480 .lbs of torque, this engine is going into a 1988 mazda RX7 as i have blown the rotary engine and am tired of the unreliable over 100,000 mile rotary egine, dont get me wrong i love the rotary engine, they are an almost unlimited source of power but unreliable as hell as you start to beef them up. i want earthquaking torque, **** i only spent 50 bucks for the entire block as is. all the help is appeciated. tanks later

also, the block is only a 2 bolt main, i will be placing 4 bolt main caps on it shortly, the block is also from 1970 as well, all help and info is appreciated, thanks
Old 02-23-2004, 06:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This site has the most help online I've found:
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/
There's an article about the basics of building the motor, as well as a bunch of other ones. I forget how I searched to find it, but it's there. (I've also got a copy of the print version, so I didn't save the link).
Other than that, I bought 2 books called "How to rebuild your small-block Chevy" and "How to build max performance SBC's on a budget" both by a David Vizard. They seem to be very good - and are as simple or as detailed as you want to get as far as machining and stuff you can do.

I think I'm going to build my first one by buying a short block kit from like PAW and then using the Edelbrock performer rpm setup. It won't quite fit the 'on a budget' method, but it should be a solid motor for street cruising. Now if only I could find a Chevy II Nova for the right price...
Old 02-23-2004, 08:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bet you'd find a few good books at a used book
store for a buck or two. The SBC is a very simple
and fairly forgiving motor. If you want to save the
machine & clean work and get the best street
combo, that's probably a 383 stroker short block
and pick your heads & cam for application. I know
when I rebuilt mine I still dropped maybe $300
bucks at the machine shop for bore/hone & hot-
tank and inspection (back in the day; probably
50% more by now). Buying the bottom end
good-to-go makes a lot of sense if you aren't
emotionally attached to a current block (like
it's your high school sweetheart or something).
Old 02-24-2004, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
I bet you'd find a few good books at a used book
store for a buck or two. The SBC is a very simple
and fairly forgiving motor. If you want to save the
machine & clean work and get the best street
combo, that's probably a 383 stroker short block
and pick your heads & cam for application. I know
when I rebuilt mine I still dropped maybe $300
bucks at the machine shop for bore/hone & hot-
tank and inspection (back in the day; probably
50% more by now). Buying the bottom end
good-to-go makes a lot of sense if you aren't
emotionally attached to a current block (like
it's your high school sweetheart or something).

Hey tell me more about you 85mm MAF ported and retuned, like where could I get me one for my 2002 covertiable T/A and what I might have to change for the car to accept the 85mm MAF. what kind of gains could I expect.

P.S> Have SLP cold air/SLP lid/ a few free mod's/ SLP 160 thermo/Slp fan control switch? and have a predator comming soon.

Any advice on how to get more HP gain/better ET'S??????
Running 1340's now and looking for more!!!!!!!

jdog36
Old 02-24-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sleeperRX7
are there any websites online that go through a step by step process of rebuilding a small block chevy 350? i cant seem to find any, without having to order a book on how to do so, im new with old school v-8's, i have lots of experience with rotary engines and other import engine (honda,mazda,toyota), but i just want everything done right, this is a whole new motor to me, i bought a sbc 350 bored.30 over with pistons and a 350 crank installed, i tearing it all apart in a couple days and having the block tanked, i want about 400 hp, and 480 .lbs of torque, this engine is going into a 1988 mazda RX7 as i have blown the rotary engine and am tired of the unreliable over 100,000 mile rotary egine, dont get me wrong i love the rotary engine, they are an almost unlimited source of power but unreliable as hell as you start to beef them up. i want earthquaking torque, **** i only spent 50 bucks for the entire block as is. all the help is appeciated. tanks later

also, the block is only a 2 bolt main, i will be placing 4 bolt main caps on it shortly, the block is also from 1970 as well, all help and info is appreciated, thanks

Is this Matt???

Quick Reply: complete instructions online to rebuild a sbc 350