Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 LS1, low on power, rich on fuel, poor idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1999 LS1, low on power, rich on fuel, poor idle

I picked up a previously swapped LS1 RX7 over the winter. when i test drove it, it drove great and ran smooth. It sat in the garage (stabil in the gas tank) for several months. Upon taking it out of storage, it ran fine for a day and the second day it felt sluggish, the throttle response was muted, it surged at idle, the idle was very rough and had an occasional knocking/tapping sound, and threw a few codes. P0327, P0140, P0500, P0650- I pulled the knock sensors and replaced them both and RTV'd the caps to keep water out. This has improved the idle but it still surges hard/almost dies after driving it and feels sluggish. The gas has been switched out for fresh 93, the air filter was cleaned/lightly oiled, the plugs were pulled and replaced with new plugs (most looked great, but rear passenger side was slightly oily/gassy), and of course the oil and filter were changed. the old oil came out reeking of gas and was very thin from the gas. The freeze frame from the current CEL's (P0140, P0500, P0650)are showing short term fuel trim 3 at -96.7% (long term 8.5%) and short term fuel trim 4 at -89.7% (long term 1.5%). All other fuel trims are 0.8% or less. The issue seems to be nonexistent when car is cold/first driven, but once driven/warmed up it gets worse and worse until it doesnt want to start.

I'm confused with the VSS error since both the tach and speedo work just fine and are being driven by the output of the PCM. The car was tuned via HP tuners and the P0140 should not be showing up since the rear o2 are turned off. The P0650 is being tripped because the MIL is disconnected at the moment while i switch from a column mounted light to using the RX dash MIL.

what fuel trims to 3 and 4 refer to since there are only 2 o2 sensors that determine fuel? car is definitely running super rich at idle/cruise, but seems to be more ok under throttle. do not have ability to log at the moment.

the motor is a 1999 Camaro LS1 with:
LS6 intake manifold
SLP adjustable timing chain
32lb injectors
lightened crank pulley
comp custom cut 228 234 cam 112+4
comp spring, pushrods and retainers
ported ls6 oil pump
port and polished TB
Stock exhaust manifolds
160 t-stat

any thoughts or suggestions on what to check would be highly appreciated.

car in question

Old 05-12-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tips of the fuel injectors probably corroded while it was sitting. Dump a bottle of some quality fuel injectors cleaner in the tank and see if that helps.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pics are way to big, lol.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
The tips of the fuel injectors probably corroded while it was sitting. Dump a bottle of some quality fuel injectors cleaner in the tank and see if that helps.
Have any recommendations on cleaner? I've heard very mixed reviews on cleaners. Some folks swear by them and others claim there is no benefit. I've had good luck in the past removing and cleaning injectors out of the car.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by eb_rat_7
Have any recommendations on cleaner? I've heard very mixed reviews on cleaners. Some folks swear by them and others claim there is no benefit. I've had good luck in the past removing and cleaning injectors out of the car.
Try the cleaner you've got nothing to lose by try it except $5.
I would see if your temperature sensor is reading right, My friends firehawk was having smiler issues. Was running super rich smelling of gas, few of the same codes, would just die if driven to long. After months of like WTF we found out it was reading -100 or something and it was fixed in 10min with a new sensor. Computer was just dumping more and more gas in it to try and warm it up when it didn't need it.

Last edited by NightKid#2; 05-12-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NightKid#2
Try the cleaner you've got nothing to lose by try it except $5.
I would see if your temperature sensor is reading right, My friends firehawk was having smiler issues. Was running super rich smelling of gas, few of the same codes, would just die if driven to long. After months of like WTF we found out it was reading -100 or something and it was fixed in 10min with a new sensor. Computer was just dumping more and more gas in it to try and warm it up when it didn't need it.
Which temp sensor- iat or coolant? My coolant is showing at 60 f in the freeze frame data.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

Which temp sensor- iat or coolant? My coolant is showing at 60 f in the freeze frame data.
I'm talking about the coolent temperature sensor. 60f is way to low of a reading for coolent after it's been running. If that's the coolent temp, the coolent temp sensor is exactly what you need to replace.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice car. coolant sensor,thats what I would guess.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Also all mention that the coolent temp sensor should be on the drivers side head towards the front. If the person that did the swap didn't know better and put it on the passenger side head, that will cause issues. It needs to be on the drivers side period.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Swapped coolant sensor and ran cleaner. ran through about 1/2 the cleaner. still does not run right. tried pressure testing injectors and two seemed to seep a very small amount. however one injector launched with the clip still attached. going to send the lot to witchhunter and have them clean and test them.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Did you get another computer read on the temp? Might be the sensor wire grounding out somewhere and not the sensor.

When you say it still doesn't run right does that mean something change but it still runs bad or it still runs the same?
If it got better but still not full right, I might say you destroyed your O2's with all that unburned gas.

How does the car run in open-loop with the MAF disconnected?

I'm not saying it's not the injectors but if it's running that rich and that temp reading was right I would still be looking at that.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NightKid#2
Did you get another computer read on the temp? Might be the sensor wire grounding out somewhere and not the sensor.

When you say it still doesn't run right does that mean something change but it still runs bad or it still runs the same?
If it got better but still not full right, I might say you destroyed your O2's with all that unburned gas.

How does the car run in open-loop with the MAF disconnected?

I'm not saying it's not the injectors but if it's running that rich and that temp reading was right I would still be looking at that.
Temp readings are normal. Car is still running the same. Have not tried disconnecting the maf. 60f for freeze frame is normal. It is one of the conditions that have to be met for certain cels to be triggered (min coolant temp 60f while condition occurs).

Per the symptoms of a leaking injector on witchhunter it does sound like it:

Leaky injectors can cause:

- Hard starting, especially when hot

- Poor idle

- Emission problems

- Increased fuel consumption

- Exhaust odor

I have all those symptoms and the hard start especially when warm really struck a chord with me.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Did you ever fix the problem
Old 05-23-2011, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Unfortunately not yet. was still waiting on injectors when left for vacation. won't know if it cures it till I get back from Spain.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Coolant temp sensor was replaced to no avail. Sent injectors to witchhunter and they found a leaky one. After cleaning it passed their testing. Put them back in and it drove great. Second drive and it was back to the same old issues. Pulling my hair out on this one. Beginning to wonder if their is something in the gas tank that is clogging the injectors.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you replaced the fuel filter?
Old 06-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Have you replaced the fuel filter?
No. That is on list of things to try along with draining the tank to see if its contaminated.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

If there's contamination in the gas tank the fuel filter will trap it, but after a while it will reduce the fuel flow rate. It is possible that there's contamination in the fuel lines AFTER the fuel filter though.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Teching In

M
If there's contamination in the gas tank the fuel filter will trap it, but after a while it will reduce the fuel flow rate. It is possible that there's contamination in the fuel lines AFTER the fuel filter though.
I. was more thinking small particles that could clog an injector that would make It past the filter.

What's the chance that this could be plug wires? It was 90+ out and the car had not been run yet still idled like crap. Was thinking that any heat may be causing me issues but no clue what it could be.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

The fuel filter is designed to trap small particles that would clog the injectors.

Quick Reply: 1999 LS1, low on power, rich on fuel, poor idle