New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated

Old 09-21-2011, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your opinion would be greatly appreciated

I have a 00 SS Camaro with 94K and a 6 speed. Want to upgrade the engine, but, want to break it down into 3 parts. I was thinking of first doing a cold air intake, long tube headers with a y pipe first. then doing a heads and cam job, then going in and doing a new intake and TB. My main question I guess is will upgraded these in this order break other parts of the car? Do they compliment other well. Also open to what type of headers and exhaust. I was looking at the pace setter long tubes and y pipe, and like the way the SLP loud mouth exhaust sound. Thoughts?
Old 09-21-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 94k miles your first step is perfect, I would add a ported TB here for about $50 extra. After that, you need to focus on a clutch/suspension. Then you can go into heads/cam. Expect your first stage to cost about $1000-$1500 depending on parts if you do the work yourself. Second stage about the same. Third stage will cost at least $2000 but could go upwards of $5000 depending on what parts you use/upgrade and if you do the work yourself.

Just know that what you may think as simple is not in terms of parts. There are a lot of little things that add up..ie. if you're going to do a heads/cam you need to upgrade oil pump, new timing chain, new head bolts, new gaskets, new lifters, new hardened pushrods, etc...
Old 09-21-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

add a lid to that cold air in case you forgot. you might want to upgrade your clutch if it hasnt been already.

make sure you know someone that can tune your competently. very very important.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the info, this is just what I needed to make sure I was on the right track. Should I have to worry about upgrading anything with just the cold air, LT and exhaust?
Old 09-22-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
add a lid to that cold air in case you forgot. you might want to upgrade your clutch if it hasnt been already.

make sure you know someone that can tune your competently. very very important.
Yeah I was looking at the entire kit from Texas-Speed that includes the lid and everything. I have read a lot of good reviews about that. Anyone know of someone that does a great tune in the Raleigh, NC area?
Old 09-22-2011, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

I would combine steps 2 and 3, it will cost more at once, but it is a bigger gain and you don't have to remove the same parts several times. Or you can just make it a one step process to awesome.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by reddevil3344
I have a 00 SS Camaro with 94K and a 6 speed. Want to upgrade the engine, but, want to break it down into 3 parts. I was thinking of first doing a cold air intake, long tube headers with a y pipe first. then doing a heads and cam job, then going in and doing a new intake and TB. My main question I guess is will upgraded these in this order break other parts of the car? Do they compliment other well. Also open to what type of headers and exhaust. I was looking at the pace setter long tubes and y pipe, and like the way the SLP loud mouth exhaust sound. Thoughts?
If Trips 7's didn't say it, I would.

Especially with M6 cars they need to be built from the rearend and forward. Most people tend to focus on power mods only which fine, but then get the dreded I have a 11 second MPH but a high 12 ET, or I can only 60ft a 2.0 Or the classic, I just blew out my 10 bolt, what can I do???

Working on upgrading the rear end and suspension is a good bit of the work and the best part is your strengthening the set up to avoid future catastrophic damage such as Fragging the entire driveline.

I general break up a car 4 ways.

- Suspension/Driveline
- Bolt ons
- Engine (internal)
- Power Adder

Doing easy things such as bolt ons that would translate easily to engine mods is one thing you can focus on.

One thing I will mention is to get headers stainless only, and with exhaust if you EVER want to install a cam the LM1 will be come waaaay not loud and may force you to rebuy. I love my Corsa and would also consider Magnaflow or Borla.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your planning to with heads and a cam then you'll want 1 7/8's headers I'd look into texas speeds headers and ory they just started making the headers in stainless steel and the ory's are suposed to be switching to stainless soon and there only $500 for the headers and $130 for the ory. Also if that kit your talking about is the SLP FloPac then I'd skip it and go with fast toys ram air and either a fast toys 98mm or 104mm lid you'll end up wanting one of the bigger lids for a bigger MAF when you get your bigger intake and TB. You want to make sure any mods you make now will be able to keep up with the ones you have planned in the future or they'll hold you back or you'll be buying then twice. Also I'd think about going with a LM2 most people think a LM1 with LT's and a ORY is way to loud. Spend some time listening to sound clips on http://ls1sounds.com/.

Last edited by Fry_; 09-22-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:32 PM

Just when I think I have it all figured out, you guys come through with some really great tips that make me rethink everything again! LOL Thanks, I really do appreciate the info.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by reddevil3344
Just when I think I have it all figured out, you guys come through with some really great tips that make me rethink everything again! LOL Thanks, I really do appreciate the info.
If I knew then what I know now. I would be outright dangerous.... Be crushing people off the track left and right and racers be hatin'
Old 09-22-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Fry_
If your planning to with heads and a cam then you'll want 1 7/8's headers I'd look into texas speeds headers and ory they just started making the headers in stainless steel and the ory's are suposed to be switching to stainless soon and there only $500 for the headers and $130 for the ory. Also if that kit your talking about is the SLP FloPac then I'd skip it and go with fast toys ram air and either a fast toys 98mm or 104mm lid you'll end up wanting one of the bigger lids for a bigger MAF when you get your bigger intake and TB. You want to make sure any mods you make now will be able to keep up with the ones you have planned in the future or they'll hold you back or you'll be buying then twice. Also I'd think about going with a LM2 most people think a LM1 with LT's and a ORY is way to loud. Spend some time listening to sound clips on http://ls1sounds.com/.
Looking at the Fast Toys Ram Air. Will this affect the stock ram air that comes from the functioning SS hood? really can't tell from the pic on Texas Speed and haven't found any real good pics on the web

Last edited by reddevil3344; 09-22-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Spell Check
Old 09-22-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think they'll both work together but I'm not sure but I do know that it will be more effective than your factory ram air. the fast toys web site has more info than texas speeds.
http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...products_id=28
Old 09-23-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Fry_
I think they'll both work together but I'm not sure but I do know that it will be more effective than your factory ram air. the fast toys web site has more info than texas speeds.
http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...products_id=28
Just checked their website. It says it will out perform the stock ram air and can be installed, just have to seal the front of the air box. Thanks for all the advice man.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not to bad at fadding stuff so I plan to make my own out of sheet aluminum.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

step 1,rob a bank to pay for your upgrades.you can get a ls6 or bbk intake for $300 or less.find a good tuner .
Old 09-25-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know mooresville is quite a drive from raleigh but there is tick performance and pcm for less and from what I know they do great tuning work. Will be taking my car there for tunes whenever I get some "go fast" mods

Search this Thread