New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting winter engine mods..

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting winter engine mods..

as winter approaches im gonna start doing my engine mods. car is a 00 trans am m6. Only mods i have are 3 point sub frame connectors and a ford 9" is that is about to be installed. Basically my budget is going to be 3-4k. Plans for the car are just a fun street car will never see the track maybe one or two fun friday tnts or something but mostly street only. When the weather is nice I will be driving it alot im sure. I just wanted to get your opinions on some of these parts Im about to order and if i should change/add anything. I dont really have a set hp goal but 400+ would be nice. The list is as follows Tsp 1/7/8" long tubes,ory y pipe,tsp true duals,under drive pulley,ls6 intake manifold,prc 2.5 5.3 heads,thunder racing raptr cam,236/242 - .615/.615 - 111 lsa I know the cam is kinda big for street driving some would say but I figure if i get a good tune a little surging wont bother me plus gives the car a little character. slp lid, ls7 clutch, all supporting mods for cam springs,push rods etc. Does this sound like this set up will meet my goals? Just wanting a fun street car maybe have my passengers poop their pants a little lol. Thanks for any input guys!
Old 11-14-2011, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you can do cam only and make 400whp, with that camshaft. add in the cylinder heads and it should be somewhere in the 430's 440's.

dont forget to get a upgraded fuel pump, Racetronix is flat out the best drop in deal, and their plug and play hot wire kit is by far the best. I have always used their products on my personal builds, and lots of other builds I have helped with.

The LS7 clutch might not be up to the challenge of the power you'll be making. and I really really try to put a Tick Performance Master cylinder into the budget as well. Makes quick shifts a breeze, and your T56 will thank you. Amsoil ATF also does wonders to how awesome your T56 shifts feel.

good luck.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by BES Stroked Nova
you can do cam only and make 400whp, with that camshaft. add in the cylinder heads and it should be somewhere in the 430's 440's.

dont forget to get a upgraded fuel pump, Racetronix is flat out the best drop in deal, and their plug and play hot wire kit is by far the best. I have always used their products on my personal builds, and lots of other builds I have helped with.

The LS7 clutch might not be up to the challenge of the power you'll be making. and I really really try to put a Tick Performance Master cylinder into the budget as well. Makes quick shifts a breeze, and your T56 will thank you. Amsoil ATF also does wonders to how awesome your T56 shifts feel.

good luck.
thanks for the input ill def add the fuel pump to my list and a new master. What clutch would you go with to handle 400+ on the street? thanks again!
Old 11-14-2011, 05:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heads aren't needed for that power level, you will surpass that cam only with that cam. You have off road y listed as well as true duals...?
Old 11-14-2011, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00redta88
thanks for the input ill def add the fuel pump to my list and a new master. What clutch would you go with to handle 400+ on the street? thanks again!
My favorite clutch is a centerforce DFX. it may be a little over kill for you setup, but It still drives well on the street and will take anything you throw at it.

and this is coming from a guy who tried 6 monster clutches, multiple other brands, and I ended up with a centerforce..... and its been in for several years.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well you wont need the ORY if you go true duels you can only have one or the other.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:39 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on how cranky you want the car you can hit that number. MOST cars like mine that has a ugraded rear and heavier D/S and clutch assembly generally run 380-400 RWHP and if the car stayed a stock rear would hit it without issue.

Tuning can do many things but to really get the driveability down either you pay someone to do it which is actually expensive since they charge you per hour or buy the software and do it yourself. Some cams can be cranky on these engines but as your go larger then tend to behave differently due to the cubic inches. So just be aware of that and as long as you do not mind some differences you will be fine.

Also add a tick perf. master cyl.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:19 PM

Dont know what i was thinking with y pipe..yes lt's and true duals. I have talked to a few people that have the tr rapTR cam and they are street cars they seems to like it. I already have heads budgeted in so im gonna go ahead and buy em. if i make 420rwhp I will be a happy man. will check out the center force clutches. IM gonna post some pics as soon as parts arrive and motor is tore down. I will post up dyno numbers/vids as well!

anyone on here running that cam on the street? you happy with the results? or is there much better options out there? I know every one has a diff opinion on whats streetable and whats not but just lookin for some input

went with all of the above but cam is tsp 233/239. Hope to see some good results. Hope this makes a nice weather/weekend warrior combo. anyone else have those heads and that cam?
Old 11-18-2011, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like your parts list but I think you'd benefit more from a Fast 90/92 over the LS6 intake. Also, ditch the LS7 clutch idea. Monster FTW!
Old 11-19-2011, 01:07 AM

significant gains with a fast 90/92 over the ls6 intake? is it possible with a good tune to hit 450rwhp with this combo? anyone experience this with a similar combo?