New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARH header odds and ends

Old 10-05-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ARH header odds and ends

I'm about to give in and buy ARH long tubes for my 99 Formula but there are a couple questions that I would like to have answered before I buy so if anyone that has ARH headers or knowledge of them can help that would be great.

1. I know ARH headers come with gaskets but are they GM MLS gaskets like everyone recommends or are they something else?

2. I assume it comes with header bolts as well, but can anyone verify this?

3. What are the dimensions of the box that the headers come in? My father hates having car parts laying around and I'm not sure when they'll be installed so I might have to transport them over to a friends house and I need to know how big the box is.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They come with crappy gaskets, I wouldn't use them. I bought new GM MLS gaskets. They do not come with header bolts. Box is like 13x26x48 or something, large but not huge.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

i for one like their grafite gaskets . i had no problem with them in fact i took the my headers off for a motor swap and definitly had a tight seal. in fact i ordered another set for my swap when i think i could have reused the old ons.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote is for the GM steel gaskets and just stick with the stock bolts.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, can someone give me a part number for the recommended GM ones just in case? I saw many different ones on RPMSpeed/WS6Store and Texas Speed
Old 10-05-2011, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...ets-set-of-2-/

Also, get 1 7/8" from the get go. You will need o2 extensions or longer o2's. I like and use Bosch 13111 sensors. They are always in stock at Autozone/Advance etc (they are for Corvette's so they are much longer and will work for our cars)
Old 10-06-2011, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm pretty sure ARH headers come with extensions...don't they?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

no they don't.. It is just the header and a graphite exhaust manifold gasket
Old 10-06-2011, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Great....what length extensions are needed?
Old 10-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by djfury05
no they don't.. It is just the header and a graphite exhaust manifold gasket
That's correct when you order just the headers.

If you order the ARH System (headers and Y-Pipe) it will come with O2 Extensions, Gaskets, Y-pipe Clamps, and Bolts for the y-pipe hanger.

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
Great....what length extensions are needed?
Around 20 inches should work.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh ok good, I'm getting the header/y-pipe package so I guess I won't need the extensions. I'm getting prothane motor mounts and the EGR delete plug for the intake in the cart as well. I saw in a previous thread that the ARH gaskets are good but I might get those OEM GM MLS ones too. Right now I'm looking at $1,369. Expensive but it should be worth it as long as there are no hidden surprises
Old 10-06-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are getting the car tuned after then you can just tune out the rear O2's altogether.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

No its not getting tuned for a while. I will do a Frost mail tune to pass emissions and tune out the rears later. I was just worried about extensions for the fronts. I think I'm going to buy it all this weekend. I have a buddy that can get me lift access for cheap so that should make everything easier.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:51 AM
Launching!

No its not getting tuned for a while. I will do a Frost mail tune to pass emissions and tune out the rears later. I was just worried about extensions for the fronts. I think I'm going to buy it all this weekend. I have a buddy that can get me lift access for cheap so that should make everything easier.
When you order, ask for an extra bung and plug on the driver side header for Wideband/Dyno tuning. It may be like a 20-30 dollar extra charge, but well worth it in the future.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've heard that you can order an extra bung on the headers but I never knew what it was for. Can you explain why its such a good addition? I'm already over budget on my cart by over $150 so unless its super important I'll probably pass lol
Old 10-07-2011, 07:13 AM
Launching!

I've heard that you can order an extra bung on the headers but I never knew what it was for. Can you explain why its such a good addition? I'm already over budget on my cart by over $150 so unless its super important I'll probably pass lol
I ordered mine with the extra bung so that I don't have to worry about disconnecting and removing the front O2 Sensor every time I wanted to tune.

It's not too important or else it would be standard on all headers, it is a time saver.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh ok, I didn't know the front O2's had to be disconnected in order for it to be tuned. I'll probably go without them, I mean tuning costs the same no matter what with or without the extra bung. I'm ordering mine from WS6store/RPM Speed so idk if I would have to wait longer to get them too if I ordered an extra bung.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Launching!

Oh ok, I didn't know the front O2's had to be disconnected in order for it to be tuned. I'll probably go without them, I mean tuning costs the same no matter what with or without the extra bung. I'm ordering mine from WS6store/RPM Speed so idk if I would have to wait longer to get them too if I ordered an extra bung.
They'll be coming from ARH directly. The vendor's don't have stock of headers. When you order from a vendor, they place the order to ARH, ARH will then put together the order. It will be about a week to 10 days before they arrive. It's easy for them to put in an extra bung, it'll take them about 30 minutes.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

+1 on the extra bung. I had one put in on my headers from ARH and they didn't charge me extra. I ordered directly from them though, not through a vendor.

Good luck with the install.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, I'll shoot Mike at ARH another email. Should I specify that I want an extra bung in the comments of the order I guess?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ARH header odds and ends