New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next step in my build... need semi-expert advice...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 03:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Next step in my build... need semi-expert advice...

Ok so here's how it all went down. I bought a 2000 M6 Camaro SS from my brother for 5k, it is completely stock and had 104k miles. Family discount for sure. Here's what I bought so far:

1) SLP Lid
2) Helix Valve Cover Breather
3) SLP Cat-back Exhaust
4) Throttle Body Bypass
(That is all that is installed as of now)
Waiting to be installed:
5) Motive Gear 4.10's
6) FLP Longtube Headers
7) ORY
8) Oil Catch Can
9) Comp Cam 224/224 .581 112LSA Cam
10) Comp Cam 918 Springs
11) Slotted & Drilled Rotors
12) SLP Line Lock
13) Full 5-channel stereo system
14) TGK TR55 Spark Plugs
15) Autometer Water Temp Gauge/ Fuel/Air Ratio Gauge
16) BMR Subframe Connectors

Here is my problem, I have all these things and want to install them at the same time. I have been feeling my clutch slipping and think I may need to upgrade to an LS7 or Monster Clutch kit yet I haven't bought it yet. So As I do all these upgrades lets assume I bought a clutch kit too. To my knowledge so far this is what I'm missing with the cam swap:

LS6 Oil Pump
Double Roller Timing Chain
Hardened Pushrods 7.4"???
Port and Polish stock 00' SS heads??? How much $$$??
Master Gear Install kit
Frost Tune? Cheap non-dyno?
Port my stock TB?

So here are my questions. Can I do all this at the same time? What else should I consider when upgrading all this? How long do you think all this will take with similar non-LS1 engine knowledge? Sorry if this post is vague. Here are some pics of my Camaro with my new 4" cowl, I will have a pending OEM SS hood for sale once I get enough posts.

Next step in my build... need semi-expert advice...-photo.jpg

Next step in my build... need semi-expert advice...-photo-1-.jpg

Next step in my build... need semi-expert advice...-photo-2-.jpg

And of course some really newb questions, what kind of rwhp am I looking at? And 1/4 et's? Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Last edited by B0dyDr0pp3d; 01-08-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B0dyDr0pp3d
Ok so here's how it all went down. I bought a 2000 M6 Camaro SS from my brother for 5k, it is completely stock and had 104k miles. Family discount for sure. Here's what I bought so far:

1) SLP Lid
2) Helix Valve Cover Breather
3) SLP Cat-back Exhaust
4) Throttle Body Bypass
(That is all that is installed as of now)
Waiting to be installed:
5) Motive Gear 4.10's
6) FLP Longtube Headers
7) ORY
8) Oil Catch Can
9) Comp Cam 224/224 .581 112LSA Cam
10) Comp Cam 918 Springs
11) Slotted & Drilled Rotors
12) SLP Line Lock
13) Full 5-channel stereo system
14) TGK TR55 Spark Plugs
15) Autometer Water Temp Gauge/ Fuel/Air Ratio Gauge
16) BMR Subframe Connectors

Here is my problem, I have all these things and want to install them at the same time. I have been feeling my clutch slipping and think I may need to upgrade to an LS7 or Monster Clutch kit yet I haven't bought it yet. So As I do all these upgrades lets assume I bought a clutch kit too. To my knowledge so far this is what I'm missing with the cam swap:

LS6 Oil Pump
Master Gear Install kit
Port my stock TB?

So here are my questions. Can I do all this at the same time? What else should I consider when upgrading all this? How long do you think all this will take with similar non-LS1 engine knowledge? Sorry if this post is vague. Here are some pics of my Camaro with my new 4" cowl, I will have a pending OEM SS hood for sale once I get enough posts.

Attachment 333657

Attachment 333658

Attachment 333659

And of course some really newb questions, what kind of rwhp am I looking at? And 1/4 et's? Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
LS6 Oil Pump
Master Gear Install kit
Port my stock TB?
Don't buy a double roller... ls2 will work fine.
Pushrods will need to be checked for length
If you want the stock heads ported, send them to AI. They do amazing work, will run roughly 400-1200$ depending on what you want
Frost can get the tune pretty close
TB porting is done by a few sponsors
Get a cutout, even a manual
I would consider tick master
If you hook good a couple times and you can launch rear will probably go boom

How much for the stock SS hood
Old 01-08-2012, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

I have the 224 581 cam in my ride...
As already mentioned, an ls2 timming chain will do just fine, and is what i have, along with an ls6 oil pump.

As far as HP... You having a M6 and Longtube headers, im gona take a guess and go with 390Hp and 374Torque.

1/4 mile... You should get into low 12's easy, with Drag radials. Dont expect good results on street tires.

I ran a 12.9 in my A4, and had lots of trouble on my 60 ft, Mainly caused by tires, and failing transmission.
See Sig for Mods/Hp results.

I was goint to do the mail order tune by frost, and they told me flat out... Mail order vs DynoTune Is like day and night.
Mail in will get you close, but theres nothing like having the vehicle physically there to set it up and squeeze every HP/Tq Possible.
I wouldnt throw away cash with a mail order, I would save just a couple more hundred bucks and do it right with a dynotune.

As far as your clutch, If its going out, then replace it. Once Modded, It will bust quicker, even though I have an A4 it went to crap once tuned. Just couldnt handle the HP.

Last edited by LASTOFTHEBREED02T/A; 01-08-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Captain Double Post

as far as the tb porting goes i would do that yourself to save money , follow a write up is very easy to do,ls2 chain for sure,it could take awhile to do all the mods listed, there not hard to do if you have done some work before but going in knowing anything it could take awhile, i would also go easy on the launches, one good launch with stickey tires could take the rear out with ease, just be easy on it untill you can afford a rear, as far as the heads yes i would send them to AI,or look at texas speeds prc heads, great value for the money.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input guys. So I just bought a used LS6 Oil Pump off here for the future cam swap. I looked into porting the TB myself and I can definitely do that no problem. I still need to get the LS2 Timing Chain.

I've read on a few other threads that I should also get LS7 lifters when I do my Comp 918 springs during the cam swap. Is that really necessary? And will $500 for a p&p job on my heads be alright for my mostly street SS?

Seems like the clutch will have to wait for now. And yea I'll be pretty worried about my rear end with my 4.10's and the cam but I can't even begin to think of putting $$$ in a new rearend till I'm forced to.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the input guys. So I just bought a used LS6 Oil Pump off here for the future cam swap. I looked into porting the TB myself and I can definitely do that no problem. I still need to get the LS2 Timing Chain.

I've read on a few other threads that I should also get LS7 lifters when I do my Comp 918 springs during the cam swap. Is that really necessary? And will $500 for a p&p job on my heads be alright for my mostly street SS?

Seems like the clutch will have to wait for now. And yea I'll be pretty worried about my rear end with my 4.10's and the cam but I can't even begin to think of putting $$$ in a new rearend till I'm forced to.
Oil pump is a pretty important piece to buy used.. Just my opinion.

Lifters aren't a have to but more of a "might as well while you're in there" kind of thing.
Get AI to do their 500$ port job, 20-25Rwhp increase.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12
Oil pump is a pretty important piece to buy used.. Just my opinion.

Lifters aren't a have to but more of a "might as well while you're in there" kind of thing.
Get AI to do their 500$ port job, 20-25Rwhp increase.
**** really? I figured I could port the oil pump or something and it wouldn't matter. I thought it was more of a flow issue then a mileage thing. Yea $500 p&p is right up my ally. I've already dropped a lot into the SS and have a garage full of parts and a stock SS w/ a lid on it haha
Old 01-11-2012, 02:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

**** really? I figured I could port the oil pump or something and it wouldn't matter. I thought it was more of a flow issue then a mileage thing. Yea $500 p&p is right up my ally. I've already dropped a lot into the SS and have a garage full of parts and a stock SS w/ a lid on it haha
I just don't trust certain things used.. Oil pump being one of them. Springs/push rods/etc sure.. But if the pump fails, well.....

Personally, they aren't that expensive.. I buy a new one for each build. Ls1s are notorious for oiling issues to begin with.

Start putting stuff on! I see way too many people lose interest because they buy all these parts, car sits, they need a little money so sell a few things, next thing you know major garage sell... Including car!
LOL
Old 01-11-2012, 02:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12
I just don't trust certain things used.. Oil pump being one of them. Springs/push rods/etc sure.. But if the pump fails, well.....

Personally, they aren't that expensive.. I buy a new one for each build. Ls1s are notorious for oiling issues to begin with.

Start putting stuff on! I see way too many people lose interest because they buy all these parts, car sits, they need a little money so sell a few things, next thing you know major garage sell... Including car!
LOL
I know what you mean.. Originally I bought a barely used BBK SSi Intake w/ 85mm BBK TB, and BBK Fuel rails. Intake powder coated black with a sick red SSi on it. Bought it from some guy on Craigslist for $400. I then put it up on eBay for the hell of it at $900 and someone bought it. I made a good chunk of $$$ but kind of regretted losing a sick part of my future build. I need to find some LS1tech help in the Norcal area, I've worked on old SBC's and bagged trucks but this car/ engine is pretty new to me.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

LOL someone got ripped.. Ebay can be nice at times.

BBK isn't that great so no worries. If you are wanting a nice intake FAST 90 or 92.

http://www.norcal-lsx.com/forum/
Old 01-11-2012, 03:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah seriously, I can find that combo for 500 all day. I wouldn't pay more than 800 for a 90/90
Old 01-11-2012, 03:47 AM
On The Tree

Yea a Fast combo would be legit. I couldn't believe when I checked my eBay App on my phone and saw there was a bid at $900... I had about $80 eBay fee's, $20 Paypal fee's, and about $50 shipping so really I got about $750, still pretty amazing though.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Default 1 liitle question

I'm about to do the same mod 224r TSPEED cam with 42000 miles on my car,so you guys would definetely do ls6 oil pump and ls2 chain???

I just installed a brand new 4L60 tranny I had a bent drive shaft and cracked the case it was the same price to buy new with warranty than a rebuilt one.

Thanks guys
Old 01-26-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, highly recommended.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dam! i just bought an ss hood (aftermarket) for my ss builder. that is black. oh well