New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best ORY Pipe for LS1 Trans Am daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best ORY Pipe for LS1 Trans Am daily driver?

Meant to write full cat back in title, not just Y-Pipe; My current factory exhaust is starting to crack towards the muffler (also has a massive hole in it, which has been patched but seems to be spreading), and looks like it might snap sometime relatively soon. Anyone have any recommendations on what the best ORY pipe system would be for daily use? (Don't mind loud noise at all if that helps). Just figured I might as well go full exhaust since it's going to need new piping anyway, so any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go ORY mine as well get catback too. Then it really depends how loud you want and how much rasp you want. If you want good sound I would go with True duals such as Texas-speed's. If you want loud and stay with ORY TSP Rumbler cat is loud and pretty cheap. If you want quiet maybe Magnaflow or Borla?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I daily drive the car in my sig, running a 2.5 inch Stainless Works O/R Y and a Magnaflow Catback, everything else stock. The factory junk was shot from the manifolds back so I just replaced that stuff. It sounds great and the quality of each piece is real good so far. I would recommend this setup for sure on a daily driver, sounds throaty and mean when you want, nice and mellow when just cruising around. Buying both of those pieces brand new weren't even that expensive, only costed me about $650 or so.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I drive mine most days, I have bbk lt/ory to magnaflow with a cutout. It is very reasonably quiet with the cutout closed and its really loud when I want it to with the cutout open.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Teching In

I have to agree with sokr915 i just installed the bbk long tube y pipe combo but used a dynomax bullit with a turndown. They really did there research on how well they fit on the car not a single clearance issue at all they just fell into place.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Teching In

I have LT's, TSP ORY and a magnaflow muffler in my stock catback..SOunds great and isnt to loud.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Op it really depends on what your looking for.do you want a loud car?imo you have to plan down the road if u plan on doing more mods such as a cam /heads. Those will make your exhaust alot louder.I love magnaflow,but its quite. Sounds good but isn't very loud what so ever. If you are looking for loud gmmg and borla are the best catbacks imo. If I didn't have duals I would own a gmmg. Duals own all but it really depends on how hardcore you are. Gas smell,loud,drone etc
Old 03-01-2012, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

First I wouldn't just replace the stock y for another one, you might as well add long tube headers and an ory to fit with those. After that it depends on what you want to spend. But... if on a budget there is no question I would go either with TSP Headers/ORY or Pacesetter headers and a Magnaflow cat-back. This set-up can be had for around $1000 and you got yourself a full complete exhaust. Now sure there will be hidden other costs for all sorts of other things like o2 extensions, spark plugs/wires, maybe even motor mounts if u do those, but these are cheap in comparison for the parts themselves.

Anyway here are some links to the parts:
Headers: http://www.texas-speed.com/p-3516-te...e-headers.aspx
They also sell 1-7/8 for $100 more. This is a good deal because these r stainless steel headers, and though I have never run them, I have heard good things on here.
ORY: http://www.texas-speed.com/p-293-tex...ad-y-pipe.aspx
Again stainless steel, nice merge, looks like a good product overall.
Cat-back:
http://www.speedinc.com/cart.cfm?act...&item=MAG15684
This cat-back is quieter then most, but it sounds good and does not rasp. Quality cat-back IMO for the price and works well with an ORY because as I said its quiet.

I am fairly sure my links above are the best prices you will find as well.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

go with pace setter long tubes ceramic coated and their Y pipe...avoid SLP LT's and ORY at ALL COSTS..only way i would take them is if they were FREE...
Old 03-01-2012, 10:57 AM
FormerVendor

The fitment of the BBK combo especially for the price is tough to beat!
Old 03-01-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

TSP ory
Old 03-05-2012, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MikeFSKSpeed
The fitment of the BBK combo especially for the price is tough to beat!
Agreed. This will be my combo when the time comes.

Quick Reply: Best ORY Pipe for LS1 Trans Am daily driver?