Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Recharge simple question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Recharge simple question

Ok had to pull my condensor and radiator off to get to a stuck pulley bolt. i had to completely drain the condensor, which was only off for a few hours, so what do i have to do to get icy cold air, and how much am i going to need? do everything myself btw no shops =].

2000 Z28 Camaro
Old 02-26-2012, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

to do it right you need a vacuum pump to evacuate the air and moisture from the system and a set of manifold gauges to show you the pressures as you add freon. I completely understand not wanting to have someone else touch your car but a/c work is best left to those who are experienced. Not saying you cant do it but understand there will be a large outlay of cash for tools and equipment. You can get by without evacuating the system and you can fill it with the kits at most major parts houses but air and moisture are not the best refrigerants so dont expect it to work as well if you go that route
Old 02-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Teching In

well i go to a shop that has all the tools so all i would need is the air and oil to put in it im just not sure how much of each i need and the exact process of how to put it all in the right way.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:49 AM
12 Second Club

Theres usually a sticker on the core support or accumulator that will tell you how many ozs of freon and refrigerant oil to use. System holds a total of 6-8 oz of oil and in my experience doesnt lose more than a couple oz unless a full evecuation is done. I go off the head pressures to see when the freon is full but its a little harder to do that in cool weather so if the shop has a refrigerant machine use the scale on it for a more accurate fill

Quick Reply: A/C Recharge simple question