New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First build and need help

Old 03-29-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First build and need help

I drive an 01 Trans Am A4 so I have a LS1 with the LS6 intake. My current mods are LT's, ORY, 3" Magnaflow exhaust, SLP cold air, 3.73's, and a Frost tune. I am wanting to shoot for between 450-500rwhp if possible, but my car has alot of miles. To do this I have been thinking that my first step should be rebuilding my engine. Is the bottom end necessary or just the top end? I was thinking about doing both, but wasn't sure if it would be overkill. Then, I have been looking at different cams and heads, but am not fully sure how to exactly know what would make a good combination. I want something streetable since this is my daily driver, but have plenty of power available. I see that many people are using 5.3 heads or LS6 style with a combination of different cam sizes. What is a pretty good size cam, which is streetable? I have been looking at smaller cams in the range of 224 or 228, but not sure that is enough power to accomplish what I am wanting. I don't live in CA so I'm not too worried about passing smog, but don't want to do a setup that doesn't go well together. Also, I don't necessarily plan on doing forced induction immediately unless I can find a setup I like, but should I pick heads/cam that would go well with future forced induction or go well now (is both an option)? After my current bolt-ons and head/cam setup what more should I do to accomplish my power goal? I figure injectors, all new parts when installing the cam, and stall is a must, but then what? I have been doing a good amount of research and am still having trouble deciding what all to start with. I will be doing all the mods this summer while I have my engine torn apart. Then of course working on my suspension and tires as well.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:04 AM

Would a p&p throttle body make a difference or should I change size? Then I have also considered making it a 383 stroker because I thought it might make it easier to get more power out of the LS1, but I have heard both pros and cons about making a 383. I have heard of alot of problems that arise after this alteration. Any input would be much appreciated.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck hitting 500rwhp. TSP sells a kit that has the MS4 cam and Stage 1 LS6 heads. That will def get you into the mid 400's, but you'll want to get a fuel pump and maybe bigger injectors. FAST intake systems are pretty nice but they are expensive as hell so if you can stand to miss out on the extra power and save some money, stick with the ls6 intake
Old 03-30-2012, 02:29 AM
Launching!

Call TSP they will hook you up and give you advice and info on your build. They have a good heads/cam kits. A street friendly fairly aggressive cam and nice set of LS6 heads, yank stall, intake manifold, throttle body, injectors, headers, exhaust, cold air intake, and good tune should get you close to that ball park. You can always get your stock heads redone. Email " Advanced Inductions " I heard nothing about good things about them, im sending my heads out to them, to get milled ported/polished. My build so far I have a SLP cold air intake, Fast 92mm TB, Fast 102mm intake manifold(Fast billet fuel rails), Pacesetter ceramic cold LT's, TSP ypipe, SLP loud mouth catback. Amazing HP/torque gain throttle response after my fast intake manifold install.(personally 2grand well spent!!!!) I got heads, cam lifters, and almost everything else for my heads cam swap. If your motor has alot of miles, I would rebuild your motor get it bored out to 355 atleast and it wouldnt hurt to forge everything out. To get it set up for boost in the future. My buddy bored his ls1 to a 355 with LS6 intake manifold and his motor put down 505HP at the crank!
Old 03-30-2012, 02:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by D14HUGGER.ORANGE
Call TSP they will hook you up and give you advice and info on your build. They have a good heads/cam kits. A street friendly fairly aggressive cam and nice set of LS6 heads, yank stall, intake manifold, throttle body, injectors, headers, exhaust, cold air intake, and good tune should get you close to that ball park. You can always get your stock heads redone. Email " Advanced Inductions " I heard nothing about good things about them, im sending my heads out to them, to get milled ported/polished. My build so far I have a SLP cold air intake, Fast 92mm TB, Fast 102mm intake manifold(Fast billet fuel rails), Pacesetter ceramic cold LT's, TSP ypipe, SLP loud mouth catback. Amazing HP/torque gain throttle response after my fast intake manifold install.(personally 2grand well spent!!!!) I got heads, cam lifters, and almost everything else for my heads cam swap. If your motor has alot of miles, I would rebuild your motor get it bored out to 355 atleast and it wouldnt hurt to forge everything out. To get it set up for boost in the future. My buddy bored his ls1 to a 355 with LS6 intake manifold and his motor put down 505HP at the crank!
Heres my SS after the intake install tires won't stick for ****!!!
http://youtu.be/zOKgNuooRl4
Old 03-30-2012, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

450 is very attainable but closed to 500 it gets much harder with out fully building the motor. But big cam with good heads, and a FAST with all full bolt on's you will get high HP
Old 03-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

^^^^ Very True
Old 04-01-2012, 01:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not get a blower cam, some 56# injectors, and an STS style rear mount and forget it?. you could easily hit 500 with a boosted app and not lose any daily drivability. just dont push too much PSI without a good tune and the right supporting mods and youll be fine... theres even stock short block LS1's pushing over 600 wheel with a turbo if im not mistaken..
Old 04-01-2012, 12:35 PM

I'll look into those places for a heads/cam setup. Any good shops for forged internals? I would prefer to build to last! I know 500 is high, which is why I gave a range, but I thought 450 was reasonable. How are the 355 bores? I have looked into the 383 and read alot of mixed reviews. I want to try and see what I can get out of it before throwing on a single or twin turbo or supercharger. Once I go that route I'll be needing to replace my 10 bolt and do additional work to my trans. Thanks for the advice so far.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ethan[ws6]
Good luck hitting 500rwhp. TSP sells a kit that has the MS4 cam and Stage 1 LS6 heads. That will def get you into the mid 400's, but you'll want to get a fuel pump and maybe bigger injectors. FAST intake systems are pretty nice but they are expensive as hell so if you can stand to miss out on the extra power and save some money, stick with the ls6 intake
TSP offers a stage 1 and stage 2.5. What are the main differences? Is the 228r streetable? Also, what LSA and pushrod length would I be needing? I am thinking about making it a 383 stroker at the same time so, what size injectors would you think would be a good choice? Low to mid 30's or should I go ahead and get say 42#?

Search this Thread