New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Question??

Old 04-04-2012, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Question??

Just bought a 2000 C5 convertible today with 38,000 miles on it for $6,000.00. After feeling like I stole it for the price I was driving it home and the oil light came on and the guage was at 0. I shut the car down as soon as I noticed it. I never heard any ticking or knocking so Im sure no damage was done. My question is if there is any common issues with the sending units going bad on these. Havent had a chance to put a manual guage on it yet. Just hoping that this is a sending unit problem and not a oil pump issue.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

I believe the C5 oil pressure sending units are known for going bad.Did u get a chance to check the oil level?If the oil level is correct and car seems to be driving fine i would assume its just a bad unit.But damn,6k for a C5 vert with that mileage is a steal,whats the history of the car?I would imagine for someone to let it go for that cheap there must have been something seriously wrong with the car but then again u could have just got urself a great deal.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

The only problems with the car is both power windows do not work and now the oil pressure problem. I have been trying to buy the car for about 5 years now from a customer of mine. Their son had bought it new and passed away in 2005 and the car has been sitting covered in garage ever since. They called me today and said its for sale. After they said the price I jumped on it. Im going to put a sending unit in it and see what it does.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

Well u got urself a great deal man,hopefully u dont run into any serious problems either.Try a new sending unit and see what happens.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:19 PM

prob a indication issue...put a gauge on and be sure
Old 04-08-2012, 01:37 PM
11 Second Club

Finally had a chance to mess with the car today and for ***** and grins i tried to start the car. When it started the oil pressure gauge read 0 and reduced engine power read on the display and the car ran for about 2-3 seconds and shut off. Tried to start it agian and it did the same thing. after messing around inside the car i noticed the passenger floor was damp(didnt noticed this the day i bought it). Now im wondering if i have a body control module issue or a vats problem. Also noticed the fuel gauge reads empty and the coolant temp gauge would read 260 instantly when it would start. any input will help guys.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Launching!

sounds like you need a ICP
Old 04-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Teching In

check your ecu with all the different little problems u may have an issue with your ecu not sending proper signals to the different sensors.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Question??