Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats up guys - 2000 z28 ls1

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats up guys - 2000 z28 ls1

Hey guys i just bought a 2000 z28 ls1 t56 with 89k and got a pretty good deal on it. I traded my junk 94' ranger and gave him $5500 cash! Its going to be my "gas saver" for a while since i drive mostly on the highway. I want to keep her mostly stock and do some bolt ons that would help open the engine up and increase mpgs. I used to have a twelve second third gen and i built the motor for it so i'm just new to the ls1 scene.

So is the SLP cold air induction kit with the lid worth the money? Should i get a bigger throttle body along with it? Or should i just go with the lid? I'm just looking to get rid of the stock baffles and help her breath a little better. My plan is to keep her mostly stock and then build everything at once when i hopefully get on at GE. It does have a big 3 or 3.5" midpipe back that turns into duals but its still pretty quiet. Should i buy some high flow cats or just delete them? I dont want to be throwing codes and run into any problems.

Any help with the intake and exhaust would be greatly appreciated on whats practical and best bang for the buck. Thanks guys
Old 03-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Get the slp lid, cheap smooth bellow, and ported ls1 tb. If you want to put a little more money in it you can get an ls2 or ls6 manifold.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

Hey blackSS thanks for the reply, is it a ported stock ls1 Tb? What is that and a lid worth to the wheels? Should i buy a high flow resonator or and high flow cats? Whats going to give me the best sound and performance without breaking the bank?
Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would do a lid and one of the free ram air mods, a ported throttle body is not really needed but I wouldn't say that it's not worth doing if you wanted.

To the wheels, a lid alone is probably worth no more than 10rwhp or so.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Launching!

Go out with a sha'bang! get yourself a nice set of longtube header delete the cats, 3inch y pipe and nice catback exhaust. I went with ceramic coated pace setter longtubes for about 400bucks TSP 3inch ypipe for 150$, SLP loud mouth II catback 350$. And a SLP cold air induction kit for 350$ The loud mouths sound really good but there really raspy. After I did that the HP/torque gain, throttle response and sound were amazing. I also went with a a FAST 102mm intake manifold, FAST 92mm throttle body and FAST billet fuel rails after that install the tire's won't stick for ****! Fast!!!! about the codes you can get it tuned out. The catback exhaust sound is all up too you. I chose loud mouth because there is not restriction its headers into 3inch alll the way back. The SLP muffler is a " resonator " for back pressure. If you want more of a rumble sound i'd go with flow master cat back or borla catback there alittle more expensive though. The F.A.S.T set up was pretty spendy but diffinatly worth it!!!! If money is an issue you can find a LS6 intake manifold for pretty cheap 200/300bucks and get a 92mm throttle body to mount on. Get rid of the stock Ypipe and exhaust it's really restricted. If you look up under you will notice the stock ypipe and catback is smushed. GM said it was for " Clearance" issue's but really I think it was to restrict the LS1 because that motor was both in the Corvette and Camaro and dudes where buying a Camaro's for way cheaper than the vette, installing bolt on's and a good tune and making as much power or more than a stock vette. So don't be cheap go out with a sha'bang the LS1 is GM's bread and butter with bolt's ons and good tune you can make high numbers. I bought a super rare 99hugger orange SLP SS and I planned on keeping it stock but I got carried away with molesting the poor thing with performance part's. I was addicted after the first bolt on. Now 20 years from now its going to be really kicking my *** when I find out how much my car is worth unmolested :/
Old 03-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Launching!

http://youtu.be/zOKgNuooRl4
Old 03-03-2012, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a ported ls1 TB is worth 7 hp,they cost $50.look for a ls6 intake .what emissions laws do you have to deal with ?a mail order tune from frost is a great bang for your buck mode.look at Texas Speed or the WS6 store for exhaust stuff.delete the cats if you can.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

i took the exhaust off my car and it sounds great. the back pressure gets annoying sometimes when ur coming to a hault but it sounds nasty with the exhaust off. only doing this till i get my headers and tsp True dual sweet thunders.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Since then i've installed everything in my signature below. Me and my friends did my headers in 6 hours with blood sweat and beers, definately helped having a lift and all the tools. Here is a video of my exhaust with a crappy camera.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=slobmjl0Gek
Old 04-19-2012, 08:23 AM
11 Second Club

nice job!!
Old 04-19-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lookin good

Quick Reply: Whats up guys - 2000 z28 ls1