New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple newbie questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple newbie questions...

Ok guys dont bash me for this lol Ive always wanted a 98-02 camaro, but the thing that has always steered me away is the inspection. Here in NC they have to hook it up and run it through the computer so a check engine light with full exhaust isnt going to work with no cats or o2 sensors. So my question is how do you mod these cars and still get them inspected for the street? Ive had a couple chevy swapped fox body stangs and ive never had to deal with the inspection with the year of the car and the carb setups. I really wanna get one of these cars but not if im gonna have to jump through hoops just to keep it on the road...
Old 05-07-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first, a good tune will take out the codes from the check engine light and will make the engine run better. for exhaust keep your cats and that should help out alot. there is alot of people in California that have modded cars and they are the strictest. also, when you go get inspected make sure the car is fully warmed up and if you know someone that inspects, go to them.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Do you have a visual or sniff test? If not, and all you have to pass is an OBD scan test (which is what it sounds like based on your description), then you can pass easily without cats or rear O2s. Your options are either O2 simulators or custom tuning (so long as the tune is done properly and the readiness monitors are allowed to set).

If you have any kind of a visual or sniff test, then getting around the system is more difficult. If it's OBD scan only though, it's very simple as outlined above.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by my bandit
first, a good tune will take out the codes from the check engine light and will make the engine run better. for exhaust keep your cats and that should help out alot. there is alot of people in California that have modded cars and they are the strictest. also, when you go get inspected make sure the car is fully warmed up and if you know someone that inspects, go to them.
So i could get LT's and a y-pipe and a tune and inspection should be fine?
Old 05-07-2012, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Do you have a visual or sniff test? If not, and all you have to pass is an OBD scan test (which is what it sounds like based on your description), then you can pass easily without cats or rear O2s. Your options are either O2 simulators or custom tuning (so long as the tune is done properly and the readiness monitors are allowed to set).

If you have any kind of a visual or sniff test, then getting around the system is more difficult. If it's OBD scan only though, it's very simple as outlined above.
Its just the OBD test. I would want a tune with the mods anyway so i guess that would be the best bet in the first place
Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

If it's just an OBD test then you should be completely fine.
CA smog is much more intensive, incorporating a dyno check, sniffer and OBD test
Old 05-09-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I worked at hendrick honda in charlotte as a state inspector. If you dont have a cat you will fail so get a fake cat.. we arent alowed to take the thing apart if it looks likee its there it passes. Have it tuned and disable the o2 sensors that go after the cat and leave the fronts functional. And no cutouts. Whether they're manual or electronic the car will fail. The dmv considers them a weakness in the exhaust system. Hope this helps annd if you have anymore nc inspection questions just pm me