New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few newbie questions.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few newbie questions.

Hey everyone! Finally have saved up a decent amount for a ls camaro. But I have a few beginner questions if you could help me out a little.
First off I'm still deciding between and a4 and a m6, I know its a preference but what one is stronger? I figure the a4 would be more expensive to build considering shift kits and stalls.

Secondly, I have 7k to spend. From all the ones I've seen in craigslist it looks like ill have to buy one with 120,000+ miles? If this is true how well do the ls1 blocks hold up at that point? My plans for the car will just a streetable car that can handle a decent (300) nitrous shot. I'm in the process of trying to make my rx7 a decent dd so hopefully the camaro wont see snow.

Finally, this is just to help settle an discussion I'm having with a co-worker. Cant a m6 do a wheel stand just as well as a buimt a4 could?
Thanks for any help, ill contine to search for some other answers.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:41 PM
12 Second Club

I vote a4 (to save the 10 bolts life) m6 for banging gears but you'll have to be careful so the rear end don't go boom.

120k miles isn't bad for these motors - mines pushing around that now and is awaiting internals.

As far as wheelies go - I've seen them both do it. Power + Suspension + Grip is all you need.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nitrous addict
Hey everyone! Finally have saved up a decent amount for a ls camaro. But I have a few beginner questions if you could help me out a little.
First off I'm still deciding between and a4 and a m6, I know its a preference but what one is stronger? I figure the a4 would be more expensive to build considering shift kits and stalls.

Secondly, I have 7k to spend. From all the ones I've seen in craigslist it looks like ill have to buy one with 120,000+ miles? If this is true how well do the ls1 blocks hold up at that point? My plans for the car will just a streetable car that can handle a decent (300) nitrous shot. I'm in the process of trying to make my rx7 a decent dd so hopefully the camaro wont see snow.

Finally, this is just to help settle an discussion I'm having with a co-worker. Cant a m6 do a wheel stand just as well as a buimt a4 could?
Thanks for any help, ill contine to search for some other answers.
Hey dude.
I got my '98 Formula (I know you're looking for a camaro) with 82,000 miles for $6,500. Just keep looking around. A good deal will pop up eventually!
Good luck man
Old 05-16-2012, 06:56 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah 7000 and wanna hit a stock motor with 300 shot of nitrous don't expect that to last long but keep shopping you can find deals you can find them under 120k miles for 7grand just get a z28
Old 05-16-2012, 07:02 PM

Alright thanks, ill hold out for a bit, I'm trying to be picky about my camaro figured I've waited along time a little longer wont be to bad, would the a4 still be any good for highway runs?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:04 PM

I probly should have added eventually 300 I know that the stock block wouldn't be safe with that.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Yea you can def find a better deal I bought my z28 for 6,000 with 84,000 on it with some stuff already on it from the orignal owner who was a girl haha. And when I daily drove the car the summer I got it I liked the a4 but once it became my weekend car I wished it was a m6. One thing I did notice when shoping around though was that the a4 cars were usually priced a little cheaper then the m6.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The M6 would probably be the tougher unit out of the two, but as previously said, you really have to watch the rear end with one. But, the aftermarket for these cars are so huge, you can make either setup (A4 or M6) almost bulletproof if you really wanted to. Also, LS1's are tough motors, there are many guys here with modded 100k+ mile cars that run fine.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

A stalled A4 if you wanna drag race it..

M6 highway runs.

300 shot not until you have a motor that can take it.

What are your plans with the car
Old 05-16-2012, 09:30 PM

My orginal plan was to get a black m6 but after seeing how scarce it is for a m6 to be for sale around me I tossed around the thought of the a4. Being young I'm in th mind set that all my cars must be manual, yet after riding in a friends built auto mustang I saw an auto can be fun. But his car is a dog on the express way, even with 4.10 gears. Ill probly just find a car the meets all my other wants then what ever tranny is there ill go with.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:37 PM

My plans will be to dd during the summer, and higway fun I will build the engine to handle a decent shot of nitrous once I research what a nitrous build actually is. I will use the nitrous for some strip duty but maybe only twice a month unless they redo the strip by me then ill go more often. So for now it'll be a fun highway toy

Search this Thread