New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New, and would like some advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New, and would like some advice

How is it going my name is Danny and I am very new to the LS lifestyle and would like some direction and advice on how to proceed. I have a 63 nova with a 468ci BBC (615hp and 602ft/tq at the flywheel, with a four speed) with a full tube chassis and 3.80 gears. The car is a ton of fun to drive and never hooks up on the street with 13" slick that is 31" tall on the street.
I have just bought a LS1 out of a 2002 ss Camaro with a 6 speed with 87k miles and 241 heads. I purchased the engine with a full stock wiring harness and computer. I have 1 7/8" long tube headers with 3" exhaust and street spin tech mufflers.
My ultimate goal is to build a engine with comparable "hook up" horsepower and something I can drive on long trips.
What are the Mods or steps I need to take to accomplish this?
Thank you in advance.
Danny
Old 06-11-2012, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Millerhotrods
How is it going my name is Danny and I am very new to the LS lifestyle and would like some direction and advice on how to proceed. I have a 63 nova with a 468ci BBC (615hp and 602ft/tq at the flywheel, with a four speed) with a full tube chassis and 3.80 gears. The car is a ton of fun to drive and never hooks up on the street with 13" slick that is 31" tall on the street.
I have just bought a LS1 out of a 2002 ss Camaro with a 6 speed with 87k miles and 241 heads. I purchased the engine with a full stock wiring harness and computer. I have 1 7/8" long tube headers with 3" exhaust and street spin tech mufflers.
My ultimate goal is to build a engine with comparable "hook up" horsepower and something I can drive on long trips.
What are the Mods or steps I need to take to accomplish this?
Thank you in advance.
Danny
well if the plan is for a long trip car and wanting similar power to the 600hp you have in your other car, IMO your options boild down to supercharge/turbo or a high shot of the sauce. large cams respond well to the ls1 motor but no cam alone is going to give you 600. now an aggresive cam with a high shot might get you close but for reliability i wouldnt. if it were me in your shoes i would do exactly what im doing with my vette. im building a forged ls1 motor and topping it off with a procharger. the F-1 procharger on a forged ls1 motor can easily clear well past 600hp and higher. you can keep those stock heads and port them but id sell em on this site and then get a texas speed heads and cam package and get a nice blower cam. i assume this motor would be going into the nova you have now?
Old 06-11-2012, 12:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so what are your exact goals? 500rwhp is pushing the limits of a stock ls1.

a TSP Tsunami cam, .675 spings, some ported 5.3 truck heads, and a tune should put the car reliable at around 420-450 depending on the other mods and the ammount of portwork on the heads, and without having to flycut your pistons. Make sure if you keep the stock shortblock you at least put in an ls2 timing chain, a ported ls6 oil pump, and ARP rod bolts. You already have an LS6 intake so youll be ok keeping that one. A Monster Level 2 or 3 clutch would make a nice daily without having to worry about clutch slip when launching it with your slicks. Proper Tuning and fuel is key on these motors... get the injectors required for your goals and a fuel pump to provide the fuel pressure needed. Find a GOOD tuner who is familiar with HP Tuners. A good tuner can make any cam drive like stock... My buddy has a N/A LS1 with 450rwhp that he still manages to squeak out 24mpg highway with 4.11 gears so as long as the tune is good youll have a monster that can still be easy on gas
Old 06-11-2012, 04:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new LS454 are up there in ur 600HP+ range... Small block. It cost. But so will ur build. Plus GM
gives u a warranty. Check it out bro. That may be the motor ur lookn for.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo will get you there
Old 06-11-2012, 05:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're looking at 600HP? So around 525Rwhp?

Does this power have to be there 24/7 or would you consider spraying it to reach the goal?

I wouldn't have went with an ls1 if you want to reach close to this goal on motor. An lq9 would have got closer to the goal with less spent... Or an L92.

Need more info...