Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could I Have A Tune Already?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could I Have A Tune Already?

Couldn't find much info on this topic. But the ws6 I just got I think may have a hypertech tune on it. The seller told me his cousin had a hypertech on it before but didn't mention it being there now. And obviously didn't give me the handheld.

Is there anything to hint me that it still has a tune written? Hypertech blows and I'd want it off if it's still there. I plan on doing LTs and gears soon so I want to pick up a diablo to use for those reasons.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The changes that were made to the pcm with the hypertech are still on your car unless he returned it to stock before he got rid of it.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I know. I'm curious if there is a way to tell without trying to use another handheld only to get an error.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the new handheld will just remove whatever is on there thinking its a stock tune... your also better off getting an HPTuners tune..
Old 06-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah Im thinking about just sending the PCM to frost. I don't really want to pay the $500 local dyno tune without having cams.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TyCZ28
the new handheld will just remove whatever is on there thinking its a stock tune... your also better off getting an HPTuners tune..
NO it won't. You're right that it will save that as the stock "backup" tune, but any changes you make in the new tune will be made in addition to whatever changes the previous hypertech tune made. The diablo programmer will not know the difference.

If you data log first and make only individual changes using the logs as a guide, it will be fine, but if you use some standard "performance" canned tune it could be really dangerous. If you suspect it's been tuned, then I would agree, sending it for a mail-order tune would be your safest bet, and ensure you advise them that you don't know if it's stock or modified. They should have a backup "stock" tune to flash onto it before making any changes.

One thing also about Diablos, since you mentioned it. You can't use them to turn off most emissions gear out of the box. You have to have one of their "tuners" email you a tune that does this, so it costs you a little more. Mine tuned out the rear O2s, but not AIR or EGR. I had to pay the tuner $30.00 to do that.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

I had my car tuned by a local dyno shop. How would I be able to tell if a Pcm was tuned before buying the car? Is their any way to tell?
Old 06-11-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

a bonus to HP tuners is almost EVERY tuner has a stock tune saved somewere for cases like this where someone has a non OEM tune on the computer
Old 06-16-2012, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

just drive it to a tuner. jeez.