Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat back exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat back exhaust

I am getting a Cat back system put on soon at a local shop, I want to Y pipe it then have two mufflers on (im thinking borla's). My question is are headers worth it? because if its not true dual I really dont see the point but thats just me. Also if anyone has a set up like this or suggestions please let me know.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by ineedals1
I want to Y pipe it then have two mufflers on (im thinking borla's). My question is are headers worth it? because if its not true dual I really dont see the point but thats just me.
This post is confusing to me.

You first say that you want a Y-pipe, but then mention two mufflers. Then you say that if it's not true dual that it's not worth it.....?

There is no Y-pipe in a true dual setup.... it's either straigh, H-pipe or X-pipe.

And headers will show significant gains with a Y-pipe OR with true duals, so they are in fact worth it if your goal is to maximize performance.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am also confused. Do u want to put mufflers on the tail pipes? Or on the Y? Dnt put them on the Y... And yes LTs make a big difference on the Fbody... Definently worth the cash... TSP has nice SS 1 7/8 heads for cheap compared to other SS headers out there.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

sorry I guess I didnt explain it very well I want a set up like this one.
Cat back exhaust-sw-tbsstd-lmf-cb.jpg
Old 06-20-2012, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

No way that fits on an fbody the way it sits.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Those mufflers look too big to fit under stock 4th gen floor pans. You might fit a couple of bullet-sized round mufflers under there, like many do with true duals and dumps at the axle, but not full-sized mufflers (unless you want totally absent ground clearance).

If you're going to go with a Y-pipe, you might as well just use a single 3" I-pipe with a bullet in-line, or small mufflers at the tail pipes, or a crossflow muffler (single in, dual out) in the stock location. If you want to use two I-pipes (like your pic) you might as well connect them to an X-pipe rather than a Y-merge towards the headers (since you're buidling a custom setup anyway); then you can either use two bullet mufflers and dumps at the axle, or continue the pipes to the rear bumper and put small muffers just before each tail pipe.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by baalic
No way that fits on an fbody the way it sits.
Yeah I dont mean just like that one I just mean in general thats how i want it, the mufflers for sure would not fit there and the ones im getting will be much smaller.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out TSP true dual kits... Ditch that Ypipe to dual idea...
Old 06-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2win_SS
Check out TSP true dual kits... Ditch that Ypipe to dual idea...
I wanted to do true dual but I live in Colorado with emission law's so I would have to have cats and I dont really want to buy high flow cats and its not worth it to me if I have to have cats.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I wanted to do true dual but I live in Colorado with emission law's so I would have to have cats and I dont really want to buy high flow cats and its not worth it to me if I have to have cats.
I'm confused, why do you think it's not worth it if you have to have cats? The only difference about having no cats is that the car will be louder and you get a fuel stench.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

What type of inspection? Sniff or visual or both? If it's just sniff, then you could use a set of high flow cats within the true dual system and leave off the mufflers if you want to get some of the sound back. They won't hurt power that badly at all on a stock to mild application. If the test is visual, then depending on how strict they are, you might still be able to get away with this (you aren't supposed to move the cats from the stock location, but that only matters if they inspect carefully for these things).

I'm also not a fan of cats at all, and would leave them off if you can. But if you absolutely need them, but can get away with moving them, then you could still build a really nice true dual system with headers and high flow cats that won't give up much power over a catless version.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

they usually do visual but I dont think they care where they are as long as they are there. I mean I really want to do true dual but A local shop quoted me 1500 to do a true dual system with high flow cats and mufflers. But I have heard alot about the TSP true dual but im a little skeptical about it and can you hook that up to stock cats? or is that supposed to be ran with no cats?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can add cats to the TSP dual setup. The cats are $100 at most each and it shouldnt cost more than $60 to weld them in
Old 06-22-2012, 05:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

they usually do visual but I dont think they care where they are as long as they are there. I mean I really want to do true dual but A local shop quoted me 1500 to do a true dual system with high flow cats and mufflers. But I have heard alot about the TSP true dual but im a little skeptical about it and can you hook that up to stock cats? or is that supposed to be ran with no cats?
^^^ you can't use your stock cats... You need 3" cats... It will be worth it tho.. Go TSP. i would
Old 06-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I figured well thanks for the advice ill do a little more research and figure out what I want to do.