New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to ls1 tech....what are the best power programers out there>?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation new to ls1 tech....what are the best power programers out there>?

just looking for some good power programers for my 02 ss can anyone help me out? thanks!
Old 06-27-2012, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Hey, welcome to the family!

Everyone is going to have his or her own opinion on this, but this is my experience; take it for what you think it's worth:

Before I selected my DiabloSport Predator Programmer, I did a tremendous amount of research and determined that, based upon its specifications and those of its competitors, it was the very best option.

These are the features that I like about my Predator Programmer:

- The large screen
- The simple, easy-to-comprehend interface
- The ability to download pre-programmed tunes from (and I use the terms loosely) "mild" to "wild"
- The option to adjust the tunes and settings to suite my tates and applicaiton (I recommend having the necessary experience before doing this — Diablo does, too)
- The noted improvement in throttle response, shift firmness, and acceleration
- The fact that it just plain worked for me as advertised

FYI: When I was looking for the lowest prices on my programmer, most online and brick-and-mortar retailers were selling it for between $379 and $425. I did a lot of looking and found mine — brand-new, MISB — from a reputable and pretty well-know online seller for $249. Since this merchant isn't a sponsor, I can't tell you where I got mine, but I can tell you that the company is still alive and thriving, and a brief Google search should lead you in that seller's direction.

I wish you the best of luck, man — again, welcome!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Launching!

Default mail order tune instead of programer

Dont get a programmer they are a waste of money, Most of the guys on here will tell you that. if your looking to just get your ecu programmed you'd be better off sending in to Frost for a mail order tune, your best bet is to save $$ and get a lid, headers and exhaust and other bolt ons then have your ecu mail ordered tuned by frost
Old 06-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Teching In

thanks for the info i really appreciate it and its funny u mentioned the diablo programer because those are the ones i have been looking into...have u heard of the diablo tuner that has been modified by SLP if so how is that one?...thankks again for the help!

Originally Posted by TransamGCS
Dont get a programmer they are a waste of money, Most of the guys on here will tell you that. if your looking to just get your ecu programmed you'd be better off sending in to Frost for a mail order tune, your best bet is to save $$ and get a lid, headers and exhaust and other bolt ons then have your ecu mail ordered tuned by frost
thanks for the info ill take that into consideration thanks!

Originally Posted by Z28RS
Hey, welcome to the family!

Everyone is going to have his or her own opinion on this, but this is my experience; take it for what you think it's worth:

Before I selected my DiabloSport Predator Programmer, I did a tremendous amount of research and determined that, based upon its specifications and those of its competitors, it was the very best option.

These are the features that I like about my Predator Programmer:

- The large screen
- The simple, easy-to-comprehend interface
- The ability to download pre-programmed tunes from (and I use the terms loosely) "mild" to "wild"
- The option to adjust the tunes and settings to suite my tates and applicaiton (I recommend having the necessary experience before doing this — Diablo does, too)
- The noted improvement in throttle response, shift firmness, and acceleration
- The fact that it just plain worked for me as advertised

FYI: When I was looking for the lowest prices on my programmer, most online and brick-and-mortar retailers were selling it for between $379 and $425. I did a lot of looking and found mine — brand-new, MISB — from a reputable and pretty well-know online seller for $249. Since this merchant isn't a sponsor, I can't tell you where I got mine, but I can tell you that the company is still alive and thriving, and a brief Google search should lead you in that seller's direction.

I wish you the best of luck, man — again, welcome!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks for the info i really appreciate it and its funny u mentioned the diablo programer because those are the ones i have been looking into...have u heard of the diablo tuner that has been modified by SLP if so how is that one?...thankks again for the help!
Old 06-28-2012, 08:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JDO0235thss
thanks for the info ill take that into consideration thanks!
ask the same question on the newbie tech section, id be willing to bet you almost get the same answer.

this comes from experience, by the way i have the diablo slp tune, you will see a better throttle response and you will feel a different from the stock tune, but it is still a conservative tune and it will hurt your fuel milage. i no longer have that tune on m car so i basically just use my diablo as a scanner to read ses light if i happen to get one. just saying youd be better off getting your bolt ons first than the a tune, and also the diablo slp tune is really for your car after it has already gotten a lid and exhaust
Old 07-03-2012, 11:04 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-21-texa...rder-tune.aspx

You get more out of this mail order tune than the handheld programmers offer and for less money, and one year of free re-tunes should you change anything on the vehicle that needs more attention!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 07-03-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

reputable DYNO TUNE FTW or frost tune. I use my programmer for a scan tool as well lol
Old 07-03-2012, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why does everyone always insist on a mail order tune!? just find a tuner locally so that the tune is 100% specific to your car.. theres surely someone local who has HPTuners on their computer who can do it... i Paid 150 for my street tune.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

The mail order tune gives you the convenience of not being able to drive your car for a week or two. lol i dont get it either, just do the research of tuners in your area and get it all done in one day and have some Dyno pulls to get the most out of the tune.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Local tuners aren't always easy to find... If you have an automatic car you will "feel" a difference with a handheld. If it's a 6 speed, you'll probably never notice it. You might think you do and your wallet will want you to but you probably wont.

If you do end up going with a handheld be sure to disconnect the battery for about 20 minutes after it finishes programming. It's a Jedi mind trick. I'll explain more if you dont get it.

Unless you have a big heads/cam set up, forced induction, or nitrous, I would shoot for a mail order tune. There is no need to get a dyno tune for simple bolt on cars. Sure they are good but not worth the difference in price.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess your right, I havent lived where its hard to find good tuners are I wouldnt know how hard it is to find in some places.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

frost dose so much dyno tuning ,he has so much experience with so many combo.get some bolt on and get a tune .
Old 07-10-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO use a person....a programmer can not look for all the things a person can. it has a built in tune based on limited parameters. they are getting better....as well as more expensive, but by the time you bought it, you could have payed less for a dyno tune and gotten better results. fact.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Agreed with everyone else, get at minimum a mail order tune but a street/dyno tune would be better.

But don't get the tune until you have enough mods to make it worthwhile.

If it's an automatic a stall and intake lid should be top priority followed by headers/exhaust. If it's manual headers/exhaust and a lid are a good place to start.

Quick Reply: new to ls1 tech....what are the best power programers out there>?