New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cheapest lifters for LS1 stock or better?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cheapest lifters for LS1 stock or better?

I just got in to my motor to find that I have two bad lifters. I would like to upgrade but funds are stretched. Anyone have suggestions to get a new set of lifters as good or better than stock? Engine is otherwise stock but if I need a new cam after I don't know if I will go stock or try to find the $415 for the GM Hot cam and lifters like like found here http://www.carcraft.com/howto/ls1_en...l/viewall.html

Either way I need the lifters and only replacing the stock broken ones on a motor with only 40K miles makes me worry they may not last that long and with the motor apart is the time to upgrade. Though money is very very tight too.

Suggestions appreciated.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Go with ls7 lifters. Also replace the plastic trays while your in there.

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-309-gm-...7-lifters.aspx
Old 06-19-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it right the first time, stock OEM replacements are LS7's, let them soak in oil the nite b4 install, and u wont b sorry, and go with LS2 lifter trays. call it a day
Old 06-19-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by z28241
Do it right the first time, stock OEM replacements are LS7's, let them soak in oil the nite b4 install, and u wont b sorry, and go with LS2 lifter trays. call it a day
this.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like everyone else said LS7 lifters, and some new trays to complete the install.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone buy the ls2 lifter trays from ws6store? Sold as a pair or singles? It doesn't exactly say
Old 06-19-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn they beat me to the answer. people making alot of power using them. im using them.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Default Sounds great but how much?

Originally Posted by Aaron@Texas-Speed
Like everyone else said LS7 lifters, and some new trays to complete the install.
It sounds fine but how much per lifter?

You see I only have 2 that are bad but that does not give me confidence in the rest lasting so I want to replace the entire set. I have found some from places like Comp that were pretty inexpensive. This was not planned for as I found what seemed like needle bearings in the oil drain plug and we all thought it was trunion bearings from the rockers. It was only going to be 400 bucks for my mechanic to do everything for me and I would install the rocker trunion upgrade kit in the hotel overnight and all done for a bit over 500 bucks one day me doing part of the fix to save $.

Then found that this was not the issue. Went ahead and did the rockers all anyway last night with the Comp Cams kit and I need to take the heads of to know if I need a cam too. If so I was thinking may as well add some power if in there since the cost of a cam can be inexpensive and one GM Hot cam makes 49 and that sounds like a good deal for the money and when I am done spending tons of money as it is another 15.5 hours in just labor my $400 in labor has upped itself by a huge amount. Then a couple new rockers were needed and a couple push rods. So if this was a couple months from now I would certainly pay more for something that was better in the long run. coming up with all this cash instantly is another deal since I had planned it costing me 3 times as much as a cushion in the event of unseen events, change the rear diff etc. too. So this was not planned so funding is lacking and is in a State away from me so not at my house to make it something I can not drive and wait until my next check in a month. So my options are limited with the car being in a shop a State away on top of the limited funds.

If that is the per price for lifters that were at that link I just don't have that much money today, or in the next few days. I will have to even rent one of their rental cars for the next weeks that will add up too. So keep that budget in mind. It is not that I would not like to have the better part or would choose to spend less I only have a finite amount of money too. Believe me I would rather have done this at my leisure and when I had my savings at usual so affording it would not be a big deal. Of course that is not when things happened though. And my car has just 40K miles on it and has been well taken care of so it is sad those lifters did not stay good and cause the damage to them and maybe my cam when I see it. So I am assuming I will have to do a cam very likely as well. More money. So more than likely there are these additional costs too. So a cam and lifter package would be nice if there were one that was a good value to at least gain some power after spending so much money. I would have taken some time and did it myself and saved all the labor, not possible. I am already at several times what I was supposed to have to pay at the outside.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Default Believe it butl...

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
damn they beat me to the answer. people making alot of power using them. im using them.
Yeah it sounds great, a hotter cam does too, but because of what I said about it being an emergency fix and a State away from home and funds being drained on other things too I wonder if I can afford them? It may be the best thing to do or the best bargain but exactly what is the best price on an entire new set which seems to be the minimum I should do since two went the others could at any time too as far as I am concerned.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

Default Cam and lifter package?

Originally Posted by z28241
Well as my posts say I wonder if I can afford this now as I was totally not prepared to be in this position, a State away from home with my motor apart in a shop to suddenly find I have this issue. To pay this much $ and not come away with more power at least is all the more disappointing a thought. I just paid some huge bills and am as low as I have been in years before this happeneed!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure what you mean about not coming away with more power but you want your lifters to be in good working order. You have to pay to play but honestly just a set of LS7 lifters can't be that expensive you'll pay like 170 bucks for them shipped from a sponsor.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Launching!

dumb question - would ls7 lifters alone give a power increase over stock?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Default 170 a set?

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Not sure what you mean about not coming away with more power but you want your lifters to be in good working order. You have to pay to play but honestly just a set of LS7 lifters can't be that expensive you'll pay like 170 bucks for them shipped from a sponsor.
170 a set? That would be nothing. What I meant was if I was going to pay this much money and dive this deep in to the motor it would be nice to be spending the money on upgrades while I am in there. For example the cam if that is damaged to install one for more power.

A few hundred bucks is not going to break me but big money is not available instantly.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by homerz28
dumb question - would ls7 lifters alone give a power increase over stock?
No, the ls7 lifter is the stock OEM replacement lifter for all LS motors.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by conan
No, the ls7 lifter is the stock OEM replacement lifter for all LS motors.
Are you saying there is no difference in what my 02 ls1 came with and the LS7's?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by homerz28
Are you saying there is no difference in what my 02 ls1 came with and the LS7's?
I believe they are just an updated design. But yes if you go to a GM dealer and tell them you need stock replacement lifters for your LS1 they will give you LS7 lifters.

Originally Posted by TomXTC
170 a set? That would be nothing. What I meant was if I was going to pay this much money and dive this deep in to the motor it would be nice to be spending the money on upgrades while I am in there. For example the cam if that is damaged to install one for more power.

A few hundred bucks is not going to break me but big money is not available instantly.
If they engine is disassembled in a machine shop, throw a two piece timing cover on there before it gets reassembled, those things are a god send for cam changes.

Don't forget the trays also, the 170 I said wont come with those; but they are cheap as well. If you don't want to pay labor for doing something twice and have something else to drive. Pick the motor up and save up until you can do it all at once and save yourself some cash.

Also if you do change the cam your going to need pushrods and new springs.

Actually if you do the Hotcam or ASA cam you wont need new springs but for the same money you could get something better (not that its a bad cam, you can just see more gains with something else). Alot of the sponsors on here have cam kits that come with everything you will need. Depending on your mileage you might want a new timing chain while your in there.

Last edited by My6speedZ; 06-19-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
I believe they are just an updated design. But yes if you go to a GM dealer and tell them you need stock replacement lifters for your LS1 they will give you LS7 lifters.

If they engine is disassembled in a machine shop, throw a two piece timing cover on there before it gets reassembled, those things are a god send for cam changes.

Don't forget the trays also, the 170 I said wont come with those; but they are cheap as well. If you don't want to pay labor for doing something twice and have something else to drive. Pick the motor up and save up until you can do it all at once and save yourself some cash.
Thanks I understand. I will try to check around for pricing.
The thing is the car is down in Portland and I live in Seattle and have to be home tomorrow. This was supposed to be just part of the two day trip since I don't even have a bay open at home to do any work and thought I had just some rockers to do. So I can't drive something else or do the labor later to save money. If I had planned this that is exactly what I would do. So I need to find the actual prices and if the trays are cheap. I could need a cam and won't know until the heads come off. It just happened at the worst time for me and no great solutions because of the timing.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get ahold of CC Performance Parts, they are in St. Helens maybe they can help you out, they might have those parts on hand so you dont have to get them shipped given the time crunch.

Edit: sent you a PM
Old 06-20-2012, 04:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree. Throw in some LS7, LS2 timing chain set(also cheap) and if u wana go Cam get something bigger than Hot Cam(good cam but u can make more power with other cams)
Old 06-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the link I will be replacing the lifters in my 6.0 soon.

Why is it so important to change the trays? Just wondering

Quick Reply: cheapest lifters for LS1 stock or better?