New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune without A/C pulley affect car after A/C pulley is installed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tune without A/C pulley affect car after A/C pulley is installed?

I don't know how silly this sounds, but I'm not sure if I had an A/C pulley when my car was tuned. It was during a time I had not driven my car much and a/c or heat was not needed. So my serpentine belt cam off and while installing it I noticed my A/C pulley was broken and there was no belt. So i replaced my pulley and both belts. Starts up and runs fine, but when i turn A/C on my car wants to cut out, and sometimes it does. While sitting it can keep running but it goes from 1k rpms to about 6-700 rpms and then comes up and drops down and does this for a good 30 seconds then levels out at around 900-1000 but lets say I'm coming to a stop and my A/C is on 7/10 times it dies out, or I recover at the last second. So my question is does it sound like I need my car retuned?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Launching!

yes it needs to be retuned for when you turn on the AC
Old 07-09-2012, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

lol are you serious that can actually affect the tune that much? I mean i can't believe just having the A/C on can kill my engine.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Drew-Bot
lol are you serious that can actually affect the tune that much? I mean i can't believe just having the A/C on can kill my engine.
It affects it. I'm dealing with the same issue right now. Had the car tuned a few months ago without the AC installed. Then this heat started kicking my *** when I did drive it. Installed the compressor and now the bitch don't like to idle pulling up to stop lights with the ac running. Luckily my tuner is going to fix it for me anyway.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Yes, adding AC to a car that was tuned to run without it will affect it. Any changes you make after a tune will require a retune to compensate. The effect of some changes will be more than others but a tune should take of it
Old 07-10-2012, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hiram007
Yes, adding AC to a car that was tuned to run without it will affect it. Any changes you make after a tune will require a retune to compensate. The effect of some changes will be more than others but a tune should take of it
Its not that it was tuned to run without it, its my daily driver the a/c was just never on while we tuned it i suppose. I moved to orlando from maryland where my tuner. Can i have someone just tweak my tune without paying for a full blown tune? I suppose it is up to a shop or tuner. Anyone in the orlando or florida area kno a good place?