Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

might buy firebird today quick question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default might buy firebird today quick question

so im looking to pickup a firebird for a project car, full motor swap and everything so i dont care about mileage and what not, came across a 99 v6 for dirt cheap and my question is aside from the obvious engine and spoiler, what are the differences between the v8 version that id run into in a swap. and how easy is it to take the v6 spoiler and replace it with the high rise spoiler the v8's got.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start checking for post, I think you will find one in the Hybrid section about a v6 to v8 swap or someone will post one here for you.

For the spoiler/hatch, you need a complete hatch off a v8 car, the V6 is different and you cant just bolt it on. If you want the WS.6 look you need a hood, either oem or a good aftermarket.

Here is one...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...e-threads.html
Old 07-24-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

The rear ends are different as well as most of the suspension. The hatch is different. the fenders and rockers are different (no way to mount the T/A rockers)
Old 07-24-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

ah. well in that case ill just hold out for a real firebird. go for a high mile one and just rebuild it.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

There isn't necessarily any difference appearance wise between a V6 and V8 car with the exception of the number of exhaust tips and the words on the side of the door.
A Formula is a "V6 car" with the V8 drivetrain.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just put a v8 in it an add a ws6 hood, it will look just like mine.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

Why the 20" wheels?
Old 07-26-2012, 03:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Na I'm gonna hold out for a high mile v8. I already got enough toys with the new stang and the vette build right now anyway. Besides there's enough cosmetic differences to make me not want to do it anyway. Hood, front bumber, front foglights, rear spoiler, cloth seats, etc.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:57 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by usmcpi
Why the 20" wheels?
You talking about my car? Those are 18's.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, maybe just the pics but how they fill the wheel wells they looked like 20s.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Front Subframe (K-member) is different in a V6 Car. You'd need to swap in one from a V8 F-body, or purchase an Aftermarket Setup to be able to swap in a V8.

And just to compliment what's been stated earlier in the thread, not every V8 Firebird was given the High Rise (or Whale Tail) Spoiler. Unless you have an LT1 Style Formula Firehawk, this Spoiler wasn't an option if you purchased a V8 equipped Firebird Formula. This Spoiler was only available on the Firebird Trans Am.

IMHO this spoiler is attractive, but I don't see why this swap is so popular. The Spoiler of the Base Firebird & Firebird Formula is beautiful in its own way. Its subtlety speaks volumes, yet leaves something to the imagination. Where as when you see a Whale Tail, you automatically know it belongs on/to a Trans Am. All the mystery or Sleeper aspect of the car goes right the window. Like I said, this is just my opinion.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mumbles
The Front Subframe (K-member) is different in a V6 Car. You'd need to swap in one from a V8 F-body, or purchase an Aftermarket Setup to be able to swap in a V8.

And just to compliment what's been stated earlier in the thread, not every V8 Firebird was given the High Rise (or Whale Tail) Spoiler. Unless you have an LT1 Style Formula Firehawk, this Spoiler wasn't an option if you purchased a V8 equipped Firebird Formula. This Spoiler was only available on the Firebird Trans Am.

IMHO this spoiler is attractive, but I don't see why this swap is so popular. The Spoiler of the Base Firebird & Firebird Formula is beautiful in its own way. Its subtlety speaks volumes, yet leaves something to the imagination. Where as when you see a Whale Tail, you automatically know it belongs on/to a Trans Am. All the mystery or Sleeper aspect of the car goes right the window. Like I said, this is just my opinion.
I can never look at an Fbody as a sleeper... now an RX7, Miata, or some other unusual car with a built LS... thats a sleeper...

Firebirds just look unusual without the whale tail... if i wanted to be different id go for the FIREHAWK wing.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:37 PM
12 Second Club

if you have a trans am the wale tail looks good because the flared bumpers and sideskirts complement the "aggressiveness" but the formulas look better with the low rise wing because of the lack of the sideskirts and flared bumpers, kinda leaves you wondering, then you see one with a ws6 hood and it looks amazing. my car had a high rise wing on it when i bought it and i didnt like it so i traded a guy for the low rise wing and it fits the car better. thats just my two cents, but then again im kinda biased. i don't personally know anybody with a car that looks like mine and being that there was only a lil over 200 ever made i prolly never will, and i like that. oh and the wheels fill up the wheel wells because im lowered around 1.5" and that took all the gap out.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by usnfenix
Na I'm gonna hold out for a high mile v8. I already got enough toys with the new stang and the vette build right now anyway. Besides there's enough cosmetic differences to make me not want to do it anyway. Hood, front bumber, front foglights, rear spoiler, cloth seats, etc.
Sounds like you are looking for a WS6 Trans Am. The hood on a "V6 car" and a "V8 car" is no different unless the "V8 car" has the WS6 package (which could be had on both a Trans Am and a Formula for some years). Also you could get the leather seats in a V6 car and a Formula, they just came standard with the Trans Am package.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you mite have to swap in a v8 ECM.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:42 AM
Launching!

i like this look
Attached Thumbnails might buy firebird today quick question-0907gmhtp_02_z-performance_pontiac_firebirds-1998_pontiac_firebid_formula.jpg  
Old 07-27-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the help guys but in gonna go high mile trans am with ws6. I love the look and can pick up a high mile one around here for about 6k. Its getting a motor swap anyway so I'm not concerned with whatever miles or engine problems it may have.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Teching In

I have to throw in my two cents:
the 'whale tail' was never an option for me

(98 TA 'vert LS1/a4 NBM)

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android

Quick Reply: might buy firebird today quick question