New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How high to jack car for head/cam swap..

Old 07-29-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How high to jack car for head/cam swap..

Already got basic bolt-ons and cam in car but I didn't do any of the work. I finally saved enough money to get heads and I think I'm going to swap my cam during the process.

Question is I remember when a buddy put the headers on my car, the front bumper was nearly chest high.. Is it really necessary to go this high with the car?? They are Pacesetter LT's and considering its one of the first things I'll have to do in the process, I was wanting to see what other people have done..
Old 07-29-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

for a header install at home, yes the rule of thumb is get the car as high as possible. for me i have access to a lift so i just did mine that way. for heads i see no reason why youd need to lift the car, other than removing the LT if you cant get em from the top now assuming you did AIR delete but good luck just doing my intake swap was a bitch.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shouldnt have to remove the headers off at all for a head swap, unbolt them and lift the heads out.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ZNewb
Shouldnt have to remove the headers off at all for a head swap, unbolt them and lift the heads out.
what im saying, but in case he cant get em from the front.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

im currently doing a head swap and i have to drop the headers... there is not enough room with headers. There might be with stock manifolds but definately not with headers.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

remove your y pipe the headers can sit in the engine bay while the heads are off. no need to remove them just need to be able to shift em around as you pull the heads
Old 07-29-2012, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nomasterase
remove your y pipe the headers can sit in the engine bay while the heads are off. no need to remove them just need to be able to shift em around as you pull the heads

This.

You'll have plenty of room this way.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure it depends on what headers you have but when I changed lifters in my old car with hooker headers I didn't do anything but unbolt them from the heads. The heads slid out easily. So I just had it high enough to get a jack stand under the car which is maybe an extra 8" or so

But like what others said just unbolt the y-pipe and let the headers drop down some. Good luck.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
Already got basic bolt-ons and cam in car but I didn't do any of the work. I finally saved enough money to get heads and I think I'm going to swap my cam during the process.

Question is I remember when a buddy put the headers on my car, the front bumper was nearly chest high.. Is it really necessary to go this high with the car?? They are Pacesetter LT's and considering its one of the first things I'll have to do in the process, I was wanting to see what other people have done..
To be honest most of the work can be done with the car on the ground. When it comes to removing the radiator/fans that is when you want it up. Or when your unbolting the collectors from the Y pipe so when you un bolt the header flange you can remove or let them hang to get at the cyl head bolts.

Depending how tall you are some people do better with the car having a slight elevation or just what the height that you get on the lowest setting of the jack stand.

Everyone have different approaches some cars you dont even need to remove the headers to get at the heads, some you need them out of the way.

Search this Thread