New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 rebuild

Hey I just purchased a ls1 engine block for my 91 camaro. I am planning on building it from the ground up for a real powerhouse. I am trying to get a minimum of 650 horsepower from the engine and prob. a max of 950 maybe a little more. What do you recommend do get the hp somewhere within this range. What should I bore it out to? What kind of heads? What kind of crank etc. Also should I turn the 350 into a 383 stroker or keep it a 350. What is going to give me the best torque with still really good top end power. Any parts combinations or tips to get this will be greatly apprecaited. Also once I get started on the build I will post pics and keep you all updated. Thanks in advance Kenneth.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you will need a turbo or super charger .it mite be cheaper to buy a TSP forged short block .go to the boosted section for more ideals.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:23 PM

The price isn't the issue if I need to I can do this overtime. Is it reasonable to expect to get at least 650 hp out of an ls1 without messing up the block?
Old 08-09-2012, 06:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The price isn't the issue if I need to I can do this overtime. Is it reasonable to expect to get at least 650 hp out of an ls1 without messing up the block?
Without any sort of power adder (turbo, supercharger, nitrous) you are going to be very hardpressed to reach that number even with a 383 stroker. You're going to need absolutely top of the line stuff for that and will have to wind it to the moon.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:14 AM

Ok so what kind of hp do you think I can expect from this engine without the turbo or supercharger and without pushing the engine to the brink? Also it has tpi fuel injection should I upgrade the fuel injection leave it the same or convert it to carbureted engine for the most power? I just want different opinions to see what would be a nice set up for the most power without it blowing my engine in a week.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:11 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a some books, start reading, put books down and call an engine builder.

LS1tech.com has a bunch of good sponsors that can tell you what you need and the $$$. Since this sounds like your first LSx you need to do your research.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's definitely possible to get that kind of power on an LSX engine, but you're going to have to go with a high compression motor if naturally aspirated, and stroking it will definitely help. A stroker engine will get you lots of torque, but that's why you'll need to make it a high compression engine, to get your power. Contact Texas-speed and I'm sure they'll help you choose the right cam and heads for your build. I'd go with Callies parts for the build. You can always run E85, which loves high compression and will make big power.