Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

freshing up my ls/t56

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default freshing up my ls/t56

ive got a ls1/t56 out of a 2000 z28, its got 131kmi. im using this swap for my drift car next year and id like to freshen it up a bit. can anybody point me in the right direction? should i bother with new rod bearings and rings? just get a gasket kit? this is my first ls, so im looking for the weak points aswell. this motor will see alot of rev limiter and higher rpms.

also looking to get an ls6 intake, and for stock heads i was told 222/224 .586/.588 @ 112 would be a good cam. im looking to get 400+whp. what kind of head work will i need to do(springs etc)?

sorry for all the noob questions haha making the switch from 4bangers
Old 08-19-2012, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you have the motor out and have some knowledge of cars.

Id do some simple things like, rear main seal, timing chain, oil pump... AIR!, EGR!. If you want to get further in, do an oil pan gasket if it looks like it leaks at all. Wouldnt be a bad idea to do MLS head gaskets (but sounds like your thinking about going heads anyways).

Whether or not to do bearing and rings really has to do with how the motor looks. At that age, ive seen motors that still look new... but ive also seen ones that never made it that far. So Its really subjective.

Springs are cheap insurance if you're planning on running the car hard, its definately not a bad idea.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:49 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We stock almost all of the bearings and gaskets needed for your rebuild, and also have several camshafts in stock that will work excellent with your stock cylinder heads. Feel free to give us a call with any of your questions, we will be happy to point you in the right direction!
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 08-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help guys. I've already pulled off the egr stuff. I just have to start taking it apart and see what I find! And jake, I will be in touch!