Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Incomplete magnaflow cat back install questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Incomplete magnaflow cat back install questions

I posted this in gen III external engine but got no responses so maybe someone will help me here since it's kinda a noob question.

I just got a used magnaflow cat back for my car. It only came with the muffler, tips and over axle pipe. So my quesiton is can I use the stock i pipe with the new over axle pipe? Thats going to require a weld right? Or should I just not use the new over axle pipe at all and connect the new muffler to the stock one? Will that work? How will this affect power gain and sound?
I am broke so I would really like to do this without having to pay for any welding if at all possible. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the I-pipe for the Magnaflow System is the same size as the Factory Piece. This would require you to weld the pieces together or you could use a smaller diameter piece of pipe slipped into each end to create a connection then clamp them together with a Band Clamp.

I helped put a MF Catback on a friend's 98 Z28 a few years ago and still have the Factory Catback in a box in the Attic of my shop. First chance I get I'll dig it out to confirm they're the same size.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I believe the I-pipe for the Magnaflow System is the same size as the Factory Piece. This would require you to weld the pieces together or you could use a smaller diameter piece of pipe slipped into each end to create a connection then clamp them together with a Band Clamp.

I helped put a MF Catback on a friend's 98 Z28 a few years ago and still have the Factory Catback in a box in the Attic of my shop. First chance I get I'll dig it out to confirm they're the same size.
I was told the factory pipe is an 1/8th inch smaller. So it should slide in just right for me to clamp it if thats the case. Thanks for the advice and a size confirmation would really help since I can't measure while its still on the car in one piece.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Launching!

You can measure the outside diameter of the exhaust pipe with a combination square and a straight edge. Kind of a ghetto pair of calipers. Follow me? You will use the head of the square along one side of the pipe and the straight edge on the other, read the distance between the square head and the straight edge. That's the outside diameter of the pipe.

If you do not have a combination square, one can be had at Home Depot for $5. It is not the best one but it will be accurate enough for what you are doing.

Quick Reply: Incomplete magnaflow cat back install questions