New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plugs and wires

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 11:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what do ppl change plugs and wires?? whatz the big difference?? i have 30k..shoould i chang em??
Old 04-10-2004, 03:31 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by VIP1
Why would their be a weaker spark? There are just more paths for the spark to follow.

--vIP1
I'm no engineer, but common sense tells me that for spark to occur, there must be a charge and a ground. How are four prongs going to work any better than one in providing a ground? It is the simplest path for spark to occur between the electrode and the prong right beneath it. What convoluted path would the charge have to take to make spark with four prongs. Sounds like a recipe for misfires to me. But I could be completely wrong - I'm open to correction.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like running the MSD 8.5 wires (40 ohms per foot), and NGK TR55's gapped at .055. The wider the gap the hotter the spark. Run as wide a gap as possible without getting misfires. I'm happy at .055 because the gap will widen over time & I don't want to change plugs as often.

.045 is better for cars running N2o.

Last edited by Fred99LS1; 04-10-2004 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:19 PM
Teching In

as far as the plugs go the whole purpose for the 4 prong is so that when one prong gets burnt up or carbon build up the spark has 3 other possible paths to ground, it just helps the plug last longer, the spark doesn't split 4 ways it just takes the path of less resistance to ground. and for the comment before about the platinum plugs, they aren't to bad on a n/a engine but don't use them on turbo or supercharged engines, probably not a good idea on high compression either because the platinum heats up and stays hot, it takes a while to cool down so if you have a beefed up engine you could be at risk of detonation because of the plug being so hot it could ignite the a/f mixture in the cylinder before it is supposed to. at least that is what i have read in many magazines and heard from fellow mechanics.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:56 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Disturbed1
the spark doesn't split 4 ways it just takes the path of less resistance to ground.
Thats what I was thinking.

Originally Posted by RevGTO
What convoluted path would the charge have to take to make spark with four prongs.
Still simple path, not convoluted. Electricity always wants to flow to ground and will take the shortest path of least resistence.

Originally Posted by Fred99LS1
I like running the MSD 8.5 wires (40 ohms per foot)
Thats probably the best that you can get.

--VIP1
Old 04-12-2004, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

The stock wires are pretty damn good for a mild engine. I'm still running stockers on my H/C/N package, though that may change shortly. I use TR6s gapped at .038 for the nitrous..