Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning some oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Burning some oil

So bought a texas speed 383 long block, 5.3 heads and tsunami cam, and all the arp bolts I could throw in. Its been about 7 months with about 2k miles on the engine and has been running fine, but it has been burning oil for about 4 months now. The first time I had to put 2 quarts, its been about 2 months since then and i had to put in another quart. With this time table and mods what could be burning the oil. Break in was clean, we checked the rings by checking the compression and did the break in correctly. Going to get it worked on soon and would like to have them check for it, but would not know what to ask to look for besides its just burning oil. Anything I can do on my end with no lift and hand tools?
Old 09-17-2012, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

bump for monday
Old 09-17-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn, that's a lot of oil.
Have you tried posting this in the Gen III Internals or the Maintenance forum? Might get better luck with some insight.
Anyway, free bump and good luck!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

do you have a catch can?

its still excessive imo.id contact TSP.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a catch can is needed on a hi performance engine like yours.what do your plugs look like ?check your PCV system,maybe you have a bad PCV valve.check the inside of your intake for oil .maybe do a leak down test.did you use sealant on the rocker arm bolts that go into the intake runners ?maybe pull your valve covers and check for bad valve seals.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

I don't have many tools here, but I do not have a catch can, I will order one now. We checked the intake before and it did not have any major oil build up. I put in new plugs and wires when I got the last tune done. Bought the iridium plugs to make sure it was never the quality in question. My mechanic put everything together, but the more time that passes by the less confident I am in the job he did. I am going to get the car tuned saturday, and have it looked at by Powertech in st petersburg florida which Phil (Tampa Bay Tuning) suggested to have take a look at my gear problem. From what I have been reading it most likely looks like a lack of the catch can and maybe a leak somewhere in my lines. I will look for oil spots where I park but its hard at an apartment complex where your parking changes everyday. And garygnu what size would you recommend for my size motor and mods?

Last edited by Drew-Bot; 09-18-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Is catch can just a quick fix, I mean is the engine still not wasting all that oil thats being put into the can? For example I put the catch can on and my pcv system is fine but i still am losing oil. Is this just a way to fix it but theres no real way to fix the amount of oil I'm losing the can is just a way to save my engine?

Quick Reply: Burning some oil