Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep ls1 or change to 6.0?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep ls1 or change to 6.0?

Hello all. I acquired an '01 ws6 a couple months ago. It's a 1 owner Auto with 25,300 miles on it.

I don't plan on road racing, and it may see 1 trip a year to BIR, just to see what it can do. I mainly just use my toys for cruising around and want to maintain "good" drivability. (I know drivability is subjective, lol)

That said, I want to add a cam for some lope. Since I'm in there, I was thinking of doing the converter, and probably some 243 heads or?

It has been suggested by my buddies that are more engine savvy than me, that I should just sell my original ls1, ecm, etc and switch to an iron 6.0, or 415, or 427, or....

Money really isn't the issue, but if it's easier/cheaper to just start over with a new engine than tearing into the ls1, should I go that route?

Couple notes: I really don't care what the car will be worth in the future if i pull the ls1 as I plan on keeping it for years.

Also, the ls1 is strong and fine. Did 335/351 on a dynojet here in MN yesterday. (lid, magnaflow cat-back, shorties)

Suggestions?
Old 10-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, Any idea what the ls1 would be worth to sell it?
Old 10-17-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you just want a fun cruiser, there's no reason to dump a lot of money into a 6.0L engine, especially when your LS1 is as low-mileage as it is. A good cam and some decent heads should make the car more than fun enough on the street without getting into an engine swap.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:13 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with the above statement. If you aren't trying to make a ton of power then I don't see a need to move away from the LS1. If you do end up wanting to make some decent power I would think about the 6.0 block. There is a lot of potential in those blocks because of the larger bore. We have been building 408 motor from those blocks for years and they have made great power as well as showing they can last a long time.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:13 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Element
If you just want a fun cruiser, there's no reason to dump a lot of money into a 6.0L engine, especially when your LS1 is as low-mileage as it is. A good cam and some decent heads should make the car more than fun enough on the street without getting into an engine swap.
Agreed.

Why would anyone go to all the extra cost and trouble to pull out a perfectly fine 25k mile LS1 in favor of an engine with only 0.3L more displacement? Not worth it based on your goals. I would only consider this if you were going to build the 6.0 block to be larger than just 6.0L displacement.

Heads, cam and full bolt-ons will get you massive power gains on the current LS1. You can easily pick up 100rwhp over stock and still maintain great driveability with the LS1.

Quick Reply: Keep ls1 or change to 6.0?