New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to modify or not to modify, that is my question!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to modify or not to modify, that is my question!

Hello folks, a new 02 WS6 owner here with a rather off the wall question.

I few short weeks ago I purchased a lower mileage 02 TA from the original owner. Car is 100 percent stock and has not been touched. Being the person I am I said I was not going to touch it……. Yea that lasted about a week. The SLP muffler just does not do enough for me.

My question is if I go ahead a bolt on a cat back system will it really hurt its value “as all original”, not even sure all original means much to this car yet. At any rate, my neighbor thinks I’m crazy to modify, but my keen ear for the LS1 exhaust note tells me otherwise. I do plan on keeping the car for a while only driving it as a secondary vehicle.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gbrinz

I few short weeks ago I purchased a lower mileage 02 TA from the original owner. Car is 100 percent stock and has not been touched. Being the person I am I said I was not going to touch it……. Yea that lasted about a week. The SLP muffler just does not do enough for me.

My question is if I go ahead a bolt on a cat back system will it really hurt its value “as all original”, not even sure all original means much to this car yet. At any rate, my neighbor thinks I’m crazy to modify, but my keen ear for the LS1 exhaust note tells me otherwise. I do plan on keeping the car for a while only driving it as a secondary vehicle.

Unless the car has super low miles (like under 10,000), keeping it stock really wont help the value. If you are still concerned about it though, then don't throw away/sell the stock parts after you replace them with aftermarket, just store them some where and put them back on when you want to sell the car.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I few short weeks ago I purchased a lower mileage 02 TA from the original owner. Car is 100 percent stock and has not been touched......The SLP muffler just does not do enough for me.
If the car has an SLP muffler, then it's already not stock. Just an FYI.

LS1 WS6s were not converted by SLP, and therefore not a single SLP part on one would be considered "stock". Firehawk would be a different matter though, as those were in fact SLP converted cars.

As mentioned above, unless its under 10k or even 5k miles, I wouldn't worry about keeping it stock for the purpose of collector value. WS6 TAs were not rare (respective to total V8 Firebird production), so it would have to be ultra low mileage and in 95+ point condition to be of interest to a collector any time in the foreseeable future.

On the other hand, stock cars (regardless of mileage) are usually easier to sell, because they appeal to a broader market. Bolt-on modifications are easy enough to reverse though, and most people in the market for a driver quality F-body would probably want the basic air lid/catback type stuff anyway.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bolt on parts usually don't have any affect on value. I'd just keep and originals you take off so it can always be changed back
Old 11-02-2012, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

these camaros and trans ams are not going to be classics like we have today where people are grabbing at the chance to buy all original 60's camaros and chevelles. sorry but the camaros and t/a's probably arnt going to ever be classics. just way too many of them are around and they dont have anything that makes them stand out to be desired as future classics. so dont worry about hurting your resale value as not being an all original car. go ahead and modify the hell out of it these cars wernt built to become classics they were built to be modified.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by usnfenix
these camaros and trans ams are not going to be classics like we have today where people are grabbing at the chance to buy all original 60's camaros and chevelles. sorry but the camaros and t/a's probably arnt going to ever be classics. just way too many of them are around and they dont have anything that makes them stand out to be desired as future classics. so dont worry about hurting your resale value as not being an all original car. go ahead and modify the hell out of it these cars wernt built to become classics they were built to be modified.
The very same thing could have been said about the late 60s performance cars in the early 80s. I am not saying don't mod these cars, but the fact that they are heavily modded will make the stockers much more valuable in 30 years....

Just sayin'
Old 11-03-2012, 03:55 AM
Teching In

very true
Old 11-03-2012, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If you want to mod it and keep it stockish at the same time just throw a nitrous kit on it and call it a day.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hutchman
The very same thing could have been said about the late 60s performance cars in the early 80s. I am not saying don't mod these cars, but the fact that they are heavily modded will make the stockers much more valuable in 30 years....

Just sayin'

true but dont expect to be getting 30k+ for a stock all original 4th gen camaro. and again your forgetting that those 60's cars wernt made in mass like the 4th gens were.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you plan on keeping the car and enjoying it, mod away. If you bought it as an investment which would probably only get you what you paid for it later down the line, keep it stock. Just FYI, I tried to sell my car earlier this year when it had 40,000 on the clock and only got offered $11,000. I know the market has a lot to do with it but honestly, I don't see them gaining much if any value unless you plan on keeping it untouched and not driven for 30 more years.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:45 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by hutchman

Just sayin'
Many of the '60s cars did not survive the elements due to the all metal construction, lesser quality paint and sealing, poor drainage, etc. 4th gens are much more weather resistant, so fewer will be lost to complete rust-down.

Your average, run-of-the-mill '60s V8 coupe isn't worth a fortune as a stock, original car (unless the mileage is ultra low and the condition is mint, and even then it's hit-or-miss). The highly valuable stock cars from that era are ones with special engine/drivetrain packages - something that was possibile to create at a time when many engine options were offered for the same car.

Since all the V8 4th gens shared the same engine within a given model year (other than those very rare LT4 SS and Firehawk cars of '97), there isn't anything that makes one particularly special in terms of performance. The closest you can come to something like this would be special edition cosmetic packages or highly SLP optioned cars. Regular WS6 Trans Ams were common cars relative to the whole of V8 Firebird production in the LS1 years.

Also, a given 4th gen model/trim level shared the same styling for several years, unlike the noticeable cosmetic changes that were made just about every year on the old cars. So even if you have a 4th gen that is particularly rare for your model year, it still looks just like the same model/trim level car from several other years.

This is not to say that nice condition, original LS1 4th gens won't carry value into the future. In fact, I believe they will. But high level collector value, if it happens at all, will only be attained by ultra low mileage special edition cars IMO.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 11-03-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO modify it and enjoy you car, just make sure to use high quality components that are installed correctly and your value shouldn't be hurt.
Also, if you hang on to the removed stock part as long as their in very good condition then you can always reinstall them later, or sell them.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Mod away, Owning a 4th gen Fbody the last thing you should be concerned w/ is resale value...people cant give them away.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

It's very hard to have clear vision into the future......I have owned probably 30 GTOs, Trans Ams, Corvettes, etc. back when they were just used cars. If I had kept them, today they would still be used cars with a little extra value. I used 'em hard.

That being said, I believe that the later model F Body high performance models will hold their value into the future. I believe these to be one of the best used car values today. I just don't know where you can buy the combination of styling and performance these cars offer.

I do not presently own one, but will in the future. When I do, I will not hesitate to mod it, as it will be a driver to me. I believe though that anyone buying one now at the current used car prices will not get hurt if the car is taken care of.....mods or not.

A lot of things go into the future value of any car, but one thing new today is EPA regs. If the currently projected EPA Regs are instituted, the performance car as we know it will be dead. On Aug. 12 this year the EPA announced that by 2025 the US Fleet Average will be 54.5 mpg. This fact alone will make these F bodies more valuable.

We may be in the Golden Age of the automobile right now.

But back on topic.....
Old 11-03-2012, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by usnfenix
true but dont expect to be getting 30k+ for a stock all original 4th gen camaro. and again your forgetting that those 60's cars wernt made in mass like the 4th gens were.
When the original Camaro's and Trans am's came out you couldnt give them away. No one wanted them either but now well you know how they are now.

-Buddy-
Old 11-03-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coyotesa
When the original Camaro's and Trans am's came out you couldnt give them away. No one wanted them either but now well you know how they are now.

-Buddy-
im aware but read RPM WS6's post, truth right there. these camaros and trans ams most likely will not be classics. its the motor that makes them popular really. not sure 60 years from now people will remember the camaro as desired for the catfish front end lol.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:35 AM

Thanks for all the comments. Looking forward to driving the car and enjoying it the way it is. Pypes catback and a drop in K&N is all that i plan on. My old neighbor threw his 2 pennies in and said i was crazy for taking it away from stock. From the sound of it, just keep the SLP for the next buyer and enjoy it.

Thanks again for all the info, learned a lot about what is projected with these cars.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might not have the same classic value as a 69 camaro or a 67 shelby mustang, but im sure in the VERY VERY long run, it will gain a good amount of value. Its the last of the breed, and even though its not a CETA or firehawk, its still the most sought after firebird imo. However, since its not 100% stock, an exhaust change wont hurt it.

Quick Reply: to modify or not to modify, that is my question!