New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack stand placement please help

Old 03-26-2013, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jack stand placement please help

So I've read up on where to properly place your jack stands, I've also looked it up on installu.

The problem is I don't know much about cars and I can't seem to find something that is pic heavy. Install U says to jack up the front of the car by the K-member then place the jacks near the BMR sub-frame connectors

the rear is to be jacked up by the diff housing then the jacks placed by the rear BMR sfc's

This is all well and good... I have no idea wtf I'm looking at under the car. I jack it up by the frame rails when I need to do a quick tire change, but I'm painting the calipers and need the car in the air for a day (for drying) and my jack stands don't have a slot for the frame rails (I believe that's what they're called). I want to make sure 1) I'm safe, 2) I don't f up my car

New guy looking for some help here.... pics, an explanation of what I'm looking at.. links.. something

thanks
Old 03-26-2013, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

I was hoping somebody more familiar with these cars would chime in first, but here goes.

I've only had my car jacked up twice....but when I've done it, I believe I either but the front jack stands under the Lower control arms (which is a big flat hinged piece of metal kinda in the shape of a triangle right behind the front wheels) or I put them on the front subframe which is a semi-square piece of tubing about 7" under the car directly below where the door hinges would be. In fact I think there are some holes/catches in that subframe specificaly for the car jack.

Assuming your car is the same generation as mine and has a solid rear suspension (non-independent) On the back of the car, I think I placed the jackstand on the swaybar mounts...which is the 1" solid bar that runs right below the real axle. If you look at that bar, you will see upsidedown U-mounts and that is where I think I put the jackstands....don't put the jackstand directly on the swaybar away from those mounts...it might bend the swaybar. It might not be ideal for the swaybar mount bushing, but I've never had any problems with doing over the years. Again I believe there is also a place on the rear subframe ( semi-square tubing right in front of the rear wheels 7" under) that has holes/catches specificaly for a car jack.

Since you are doing the brakes it would be better if you placed the jackstands on part of the frame, instead of the suspension, because then when you jack the car up the suspension will drop a little and give you a little more room in the wheel well to work around.

If you have a friend or relative that is good with cars, don't be afraid ask for help. Also see if you can find something in the owners manual. The only thing else I can add is that make sure you are doing this on a SOLID, LEVEL surface...and if you are just doing the front or rear at a time, make sure you chock the other wheels really good. Sorry for the vague help....I'm just not that familiar with the underneath of these cars and I'm not at home so I can't doublecheck or take pics for you. Be carefull, and good luck.

Last edited by ajwoodtransport; 03-26-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Launching!

I usually jack the back up with it on the rear end (just like you said) and put jack stands on the axle tubes themselves. They will hold up. The front though, I jack up the car using the front sway bar bushing but only because that's the only place possible to reach a jack, then I usually put the jack stand or lift that I'm using on the sub frame connector. You can usually just look under the car and look and feel for things that seem pretty sturdy and all that. Knock around on things make sure it's solid or look to see if its bolted down very good.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

I appreciate the help guys. Does anyone have any pics of what exactly i'm looking for?
Old 03-28-2013, 03:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DrBlockHed
I appreciate the help guys. Does anyone have any pics of what exactly i'm looking for?
Go above and search "new trans am to the community". A couple months ago a fellow posted some excellent pictures of his green TransAm and there were several shots of the belly of the car. I believe he had his car on a car lift in which they have a lot of surface area to support the car, so his support placement might not be ideal for skinny little jackstands, but hopefully, from there you can kinda see what we're talking about and or get a better picture of what the underneath of your car looks like. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jack stand placement please help