New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering question

I just bought a 2002 Trans Am w/LS1 engine and only 12K miles & I was wondering if the steering is suppose to be pretty hard to turn. When going at slow speeds, it is really hard to turn. Is there any way to check the P.S pump to see if it is good? I appreciate your help.

Pikester
Old 04-22-2013, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pikester
I just bought a 2002 Trans Am w/LS1 engine and only 12K miles & I was wondering if the steering is suppose to be pretty hard to turn. When going at slow speeds, it is really hard to turn. Is there any way to check the P.S pump to see if it is good? I appreciate your help.

Pikester
Check the fluid level first. Take the belt off and try to turn the pulley by hand. It should be pretty free turning. Smell the fluid and make sure it isn't burn't.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:55 PM

Thanks donnie_19. Will do!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are new to the vehicle yes the steering is pretty heavy compared to a usual fwd daily driver. After getting mine back on the road for the season i was surprised at the weighty steering. It should be remembered that they run 275 section tires vs the usual low 200's that youre avg car wears. Also it is a sports car afterall.
Check the fluid level, but you should hear the classic high pitched squeal if its dry (something thats hard to miss). I'll bet its just unfamiliarity

Quick Reply: Power steering question