Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idling Prob At Startup

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idling Prob At Startup

The last couple of days, my '01 SS acts funny when I first start. When I leave for work in the afternoon(working nights this week), I start it to warm it up before I leave. Yesterday and today, at startup, it idles down low (around 500 rpm) and almost dies before the pcm catches it, brings it up and then it drops down again. It will stay running, but I'm worried. This continued today even after I started driving. I stopped for gas, then started it up no prob. after that(normal rpm) w/ no issues. It's almost like the pcm is resetting/relearning everything when I start it? However, in the morning when I leave to head home, there's no problem. Bad gas? Change the fuel filter? I'm at a loss. Anybody who knows or has had similar experiences gimme some info. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine does that EVERY time I start it when it's cold. I blame it on the cam, MTI tuned it. I've asked them about it but they just blow me off. I just changed my fuel filter a week ago trying to fix this, so I don't think the problem is there.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I considered the cold engine factor, but in the morning, when it's actually colder outside (than in the afternoon when prob occurs), the car starts up and idles fine. The only mod, besides a cutout, is a lid.(I put orig. programming from HPP3 back) Somebody has to have an idea what's up w/ my car.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm, that's odd. I have the problem regardless of outside temp. Good luck finding the problem.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have an identical problem!! Please PM me if you ever get an answer. For me, I've been thinking it's not so much outside temp (for same reason as you), but time turned off. Anything more than about 6 hours and I get the problem... anything less, and it's totally normal! Please advise when you get an answer. Thanks!!
... LMAO.... Wow, some help I was eh?? So much for a forum producing good info. LOL
Old 04-29-2004, 09:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Even though I have an LT1, I had a similar problem with I got mine outta storage. I didn't use Stabil over the winter and it wouldn't idle at all with the bad gas. It would drop below the idle I had set and die. Do you LS1 guys run premium? I actually read in the manual once (a 2001 Formula manual) that regular 87 is fine! WTF! Since you guys are out west, you might be getting that shitty fuel I have read about. Environmentally friendly or something. Probably just 91 too??? The article was in Popular Hot Rodding almost a year ago and it said this gas was not very LS1 friendly. Maybe your situation, maybe not, but food for thought.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:21 AM
12 Second Club

so did you change the fuel filter? Maybe clean the IAC with some carb cleaner.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would also check your fuel injectors. There could be a bad pulse on just one injector, causing the car to idle funny. You might be starving for gas. Use a volt meter and check the resestence of each injector. I have had this problem twice!

I could also be a bad MAF..
Old 04-30-2004, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

No, I haven't changed the filter yet, when I wake up today I'll do it. As for checking the injectors, I'll give that a shot, and clean the MAF. I heard rubbing alcohol or something for the MAF right? I remember reading something about putting the MAF in a plastic bag(submerged in alcohol) in the freezer over night-that can't be right can it? I dunno I'll do a search.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:33 AM
Staging Lane

NO NO NO.....dont put it in the freezer!!!!!!!! I just had a dirty MAF and the only real good way to clean it is to spray it with carb cleaner! If you use alcohol like i did once, it wont clean it off real good, but with the carb cleaner it will burn off any dirt or oils and plus if it gets in your intake then it will just burn in your exhaust! so ya cant go wrong, i duno how much to spray, i would guess enough to just coat it! but dont bother wasting your time with the alcohol, it doesnt do the job as well as carb cleaner!

Quick Reply: Idling Prob At Startup