Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal debris in oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal debris in oil filter

I recently had a new stock cam installed by Gm on my 2000 z28 as it had a loud ticking noise. Turned out one lobe was trashed , they also replaced one lifter and a rod .The oil was also changed. After putting on 1k on the car I decided to check the filter . It has significant metal debris in it, and the plug looked like it had hair on from metal debris. Prior to getting the cam replaced the filter only had small speckles of debris in it. I am now noticing a valve train rattling noise after I rev the engine as it winds down to idle. I am worried my engine is on its way out. Trying to decide to replace a new engine or another expensive repair ? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you located? I'm sure there are plenty of people on the forum that might be interested in helping you out for little or no money. If thats not convenient, find you a reputable mechanic in your area as I'm sure the labor prices at the Chevrolet house are probably not cheap. And I'm not trying to block your local dealership, I'm just a cheapskate that would rather spend money elsewhere.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Why did they have to replace a rod? With everything that previously happened unless they tore the whole engine down and cleaned and inspected it id be suspicious if there wasnt something else on its way out or there was dirt left behind.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They said the rod had a slight bend in it, nothing major , so it was replaced. They checked the other lifters and rods and said they were fine. They did not look further or in the bottom end. I mentioned that there may be something else that may have caused the problem , they indicated that a failing lifter was probably the cause. I recall the mechanic saying it ran very rough for a while after the cam replacement. I am wondering if they messed up on the cam replacement , could this cause the current problem ? They are looking at it again next week, hopefully on their bill.

Quick Reply: Metal debris in oil filter