Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 06:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plugs

I need help l would like to change my plugs stock plugs #PTJ16R15. But I see guy running NGK T55. Will they work in my ls1. It is not stock. Cam, fast 92mm intake long tub header ported heads, m6, 4.11 gears. An l would like to change the thermostat to a 160d. It overheated in stop an go in the city yesterday. Should l also change the oil in it too.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Go with a set of NGK TR6's.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Schmidt
I need help l would like to change my plugs stock plugs #PTJ16R15. But I see guy running NGK T55. Will they work in my ls1. It is not stock. Cam, fast 92mm intake long tub header ported heads, m6, 4.11 gears. An l would like to change the thermostat to a 160d. It overheated in stop an go in the city yesterday. Should l also change the oil in it too.
There are lots of options when it comes to plugs. TR55s or TR6 (colder) will both work.

A 160° t-stat isn't going to stop you from overheating. The only way that changing the t-stat will help with this is if your current t-stat is not opening properly/fully. All that a lower temp t-stat will do is reduce the minimum post-warm up coolant temp. Maximum temp will still be determined by cooling system capacity/ability and weather conditions. Also, without fan reprogramming, a lower temp t-stat won't change anything at all in stop-and-go traffic, it would only lower the minimum coolant temp at higher speeds.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run TR55's at anywhere from a .050-.060 gap, I and most people run a .055 gap, And I agree 100% with RPM WS6, a colder thermostat will do nothing for overheating in your case.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

Autolite 103. On spark plugs you need to try different kinds til you see wat it likes. Try ngk too. Autolite will make u a believer.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Teching In

I started to put in ngk-t55 with a gap of .50. Now l they too put the last three in on the heater box side they look like they are going to suck, with header. Still looking at why it over heated.l look at fan an got new relay an found out the where in backwards.not sure if that was it. Thank for all the help. The car going to get retune next weekend dieing to find more hp, if they can.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

Very back plug on passenger side you can get to easier under neath the car. You can remove coil packs to it makes it easier.Still a pain. I dont have no emission stuff on my car so it makes it so much easier.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Were is the most affordable place for the tr6ix plugs?
Old 08-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Just change my plugs it tock 1.5 hours. The hardes plug was#6. I got my plugs ngk tr5 at autozone for $3 each. Should have my new coil tomorrow. Or check ws6 theybw
Have great deals
Old 08-14-2013, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

Anyone ever try E3's? I put in a set in my wife's corolla. Not a v8 I know, but I could tell a difference from densos that were in there. I almost got a set yesterday, but backed out. I wanted to find d out if anyone has tried them 1st?
Was trying to get a set for my VRod but they didn't make them. CEO called me wanted to know if they got plugs made for my bike would I try them. Of course I said yes. But nothing came of it.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If your car still has the original factory radiator in it that may be your problem. 14 years is a long time for a radiator to continue to function properly. I would just go ahead and purchase a new one. You can buy them for around $100. I bought one a year ago when my 2000 Z28 started to run warmer than usual. That solved the problem for me. A 160 degree thermo will not cure problem.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:46 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by slt200mph
If your car still has the original factory radiator in it that may be your problem. 14 years is a long time for a radiator to continue to function properly. I would just go ahead and purchase a new one.
14 years by itself is not necessarily a problem, it's more about how much usage it's seen, how well maintained the cooling system has been (regular coolant changes, etc.), and the external condition of the core (damaged/clogged fins, etc.)

The stock radiator in my '98 is still perfectly fine at 15 years old now, but it's a low mileage example. On the other hand, the stock radiator in one of my Firebirds failed when it was only about 9 years old. So age alone isn't always an indicator.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 08-14-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
14 years by itself is not necessarily a problem, it's more about how much usage it's seen, how well maintained the cooling system has been (regular coolant changes, etc.), and the external condition of the core (damaged/clogged fins, etc.)

The stock radiator in my '98 is still perfectly fine at 15 years old now, but it's a low mileage example. On the other hand, the stock radiator in one of my Firebirds failed when it was only about 9 years old. So age alone isn't always an indicator.
Water pump was good, thermo was good, fans turned on and operated properly, no leaks and coolant level was correct, hoses were good and not collapsing, radiator cap was good and system held proper pressure, replaced radiator problem solved. FYI these radiators do get clogged up especially using dexcool. Car is a well maintained daily driver with well over 200,000 miles. This is not my first rodeo. Used to work for a Chevy dealership and been hot rodding for 50+ years.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:37 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by slt200mph
This is not my first rodeo. Used to work for a Chevy dealership and been hot rodding for 50+ years.
That's great, but my 15 year old stock radiator is still working just fine.

Without knowing the overall condition of the OP's cooling system, vehicle mileage and maintenance, and what parts may have already been replaced or tested, it's hard to single out one part as the most likely reason for overheating. In your case, replacing the radiator obviously helped, but age alone is not necessarily an indicator of radiator failure in all cases.

I just hate to throw parts at a car without comprehensive testing of the condition. All that the OP mentioned was "overheating in stop and go traffic", and then he mentioned replacing a fan relay. No further updates were mentioned.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
That's great, but my 15 year old stock radiator is still working just fine.

Without knowing the overall condition of the OP's cooling system, vehicle mileage and maintenance, and what parts may have already been replaced or tested, it's hard to single out one part as the most likely reason for overheating. In your case, replacing the radiator obviously helped, but age alone is not necessarily an indicator of radiator failure in all cases.

I just hate to throw parts at a car without comprehensive testing of the condition. All that the OP mentioned was "overheating in stop and go traffic", and then he mentioned replacing a fan relay. No further updates were mentioned.
Same here. But keep in mind that your 98 is low miles. Lots of these cars are replacing radiators now days. Most of them are not low mile cars. You said you had one crap out on you in 9 years. Anyway with the limited info I took my best wild azz scientific guess at it. I'm out.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

I always been told that spark plugs are spark plugs they all do the same thing. The spark always jumps to the nearest contact point I just use acdelco I don't see any difference

Quick Reply: spark plugs