New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

550 rwhp out of a 2001 trans am with ls1 motor all natural!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 550 rwhp out of a 2001 trans am with ls1 motor all natural!

So about a year ago I got my trans am and its very nice! But I want power! All raw naturally power no blower...can anyone help this newbie to the right place. I guess I just want a list of parts that will get me to the promise land that I desire! Thank you for your time. 550 at least....and I hear the edelbrock packages are crap is this true? PS.......I want it quite too....I know I'm asking a lot but is there a way? I already have a magnaflow cat on it. But I just dont want the loud idle that gets to everyone.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bobbydigitil
So about a year ago I got my trans am and its very nice! But I want power! All raw naturally power no blower...can anyone help this newbie to the right place. I guess I just want a list of parts that will get me to the promise land that I desire! Thank you for your time. 550 at least....and I hear the edelbrock packages are crap is this true? PS.......I want it quite too....I know I'm asking a lot but is there a way? I already have a magnaflow cat on it. But I just dont want the loud idle that gets to everyone.
I'd seriously consider working your way up to that power level.
550 Rwhp is going to be very tough to get out of a stock ci ls1.
Ill go ahead and ask the basic questions first...
What is your budget?
Strip or street or both?
How important is drivability?
In all honesty, 550whp would be achieved a lot easier with some sort of f/i or spray.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Launching!

El oh El...Good luck
Old 08-18-2013, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If you want that power n/a then I good sized stroker (with a great HCI combo) is really the only logical way IMO
Old 08-18-2013, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

instead of a parts list I'll give you a price tag.
20,000-25,000 + labor if you cant do the work yourself.
You can make the hp for less but you'll never get it to the ground with out clutch/torque converter, trans, rear end, suspension, and tires.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:13 PM

Wow was hoping to see tons of info....but I guess you guys are saying 550 out that ls1 is never going to happen. I live in Detroit. Their are a lot of trans place to help me get the power to the ground. Can anyone tell me max of the ls1 engine I ve seen some wild claims. I want it to be street. Suspension rear end tires is not an issue already plan for the up grades. But I guess what ever I get from heads cam and kooks cutback will do. Thanks guys.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:26 PM
11 Second Club

A max effort ls1 rarely breaks 500 rwhp... 550 is just not going to happen, and if you some how manage to take a 347 ci motor that high in hp, you could probably buy 2 fully built 408 strokers that are more likely to get u there with lesser problems.
550rwhp is playing with fire on a ls1, bottom end doesn't like that much power with all stock internals. Could very easily spin a bearing and put a hole in the block.
Im doing a build as we speak... short block and heads alone have set me back a lil over 6k. I know better and will be spraying and then some, not trying to shoot your goals or spirits down for making power. But your expectations may be a lil off.
Do some research and avoid dissapointments, good luck with your journey, and know there is plenty of ppl here that are willing to help.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by LASTOFTHEBREED02T/A
A max effort ls1 rarely breaks 500 rwhp... 550 is just not going to happen, and if you some how manage to take a 347 ci motor that high in hp, you could probably buy 2 fully built 408 strokers that are more likely to get u there with lesser problems.
550rwhp is playing with fire on a ls1, bottom end doesn't like that much power with all stock internals. Could very easily spin a bearing and put a hole in the block.
Im doing a build as we speak... short block and heads alone have set me back a lil over 6k. I know better and will be spraying and then some, not trying to shoot your goals or spirits down for making power. But your expectations may be a lil off.
Do some research and avoid dissapointments, good luck with your journey, and know there is plenty of ppl here that are willing to help.

Wow thanks. Was told it could be reached with packages like the edelbrock package they been advertising and a stronger trans. So nothing even near 450 HP? Feeling like selling the Engine now.....
Old 08-19-2013, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

edelbrock is probably at the engine claim . With heads and a big cam , fast intake and larger maf or no maf and you will probably get 430-460 at the wheels out of the ls1 .
Old 08-19-2013, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The most i ever made at the wheel was 450, that was with an ls6 crate motor, pat g cam, all the bolt ons and a great tuner with a happy dyno. if your so dead set on 550, youll need over 400 ci to do it. just because you have all this power doesnt necessarily mean youll be the fastest guy around, but if all you want is to brag then by all means.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd stay away from the Edelbrock stuff it's not very good for the money. Look into stuff from Trickflow, AFR, PRC aka Texas Speed, or CNC'd stock castings from TEA or Advanced Induction. For a cam talk to Martin @Tick Performance, Geoff @EPS, Pat G, Ed Curtis @Flowtech Induction, or Brian @Brian Tooley Racing, I know I'm probably forgetting so names but that's a good start.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Launching!

I know this on a GTO forum, but it an LS1 trans-am. He's close to 500 NA. Big cam spec'd by someone who is very good, and the right heads, can get you mid to high 400's.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...pression+heads
I'm only hoping for 450ish through an auto LS2 with AFR heads and Mamo or Pat G cam.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by usafws6
The most i ever made at the wheel was 450, that was with an ls6 crate motor, pat g cam, all the bolt ons and a great tuner with a happy dyno. if your so dead set on 550, youll need over 400 ci to do it. just because you have all this power doesnt necessarily mean youll be the fastest guy around, but if all you want is to brag then by all means.

No just the goal I was setting for. I'm new at this. A lot of ppl told me it could not be done but I see advertising from speeding.com livernois Motorsports and other threads. So I was just wondering which is it? Can it be reached or not?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No just the goal I was setting for. I'm new at this. A lot of ppl told me it could not be done but I see advertising from speeding.com livernois Motorsports and other threads. So I was just wondering which is it? Can it be reached or not?
Post this said advertising.
There is a HUGE difference between 550hp at the wheels, and 550hp at the flywheel.
You need to do some serious researching before you start anything.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there is a break down in the wording. 550 rwhp or 550 flywheel. 550 flywheel is a good Heads Cam package.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Wow thanks. Was told it could be reached with packages like the edelbrock package they been advertising and a stronger trans. So nothing even near 450 HP? Feeling like selling the Engine now.....
You can make good power with an ls1, just takes a good combo to get u there. If you haven't modded the engine at all, sell it and do a poor mans build. Used 6.0 short block with ls3 top end. That set up should put you around 460-480 with ease.
I am a fan of nitrous, and had plenty of kills with my ls1 set up, and great 1/4 miles times NA.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you ever had any kind of performance car before? Why the goal of 550 RWHP?

Most people would **** themselves jumping into a 350rwhp car if they've never had much experience with quick cars
Old 08-20-2013, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

thunderstruck507 07:33 AM Today Have you ever had any kind of performance car before? Why the goal of 550 RWHP?

Most people would **** themselves jumping into a 350rwhp car if they've never had much experience with quick cars

^^^ you said it!! I love when I tell ppl yea I'm right around 400 at the flywheel n they go Ohh not bad I got 560 in my 81 vette ill probly be closer to 600 when I take these stock manifolds off!!!! Lmao if most ppl drove a solid 350 to the wheels they'd kill them selves.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

But AI has a real solid 219CC 241 HCR program combine that with there cam specd out and all the typical bolt ons and you'll be mid 400 to th. Wheels which is solid for an ls1
Old 08-20-2013, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It can be done, the question is do you have the cash and the will to rebuild a max effort engine every 10k miles or so? a stock cube ls1 making that kind of power is going to have the BEST OF THE BEST parts, machine work, extremely high compression, a huge cam, etc. it would not be very fun to drive daily and not make a lot of power under the curve. stop being dead set on a paticular hp number and focus on how fast your car can go in a given distance, ie 1/8, 1/4 or longer tracks. Someone correct me if im wrong

Quick Reply: 550 rwhp out of a 2001 trans am with ls1 motor all natural!