Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to build

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to build

i got long tubes,heads and a couple othere play around parts but if i want to make real power i think boosting it would be the way to go or do a stroker motor becaus if i stick with N/A im not going to make it past 500HP with out spraying it with nitrous. i just want to know what you guy think build N/A motor and fight for HP or just go boosted route and spend some more money?
Thanks,William
Old 10-07-2013, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Forced induction.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Stlfirebird
i got long tubes,heads and a couple othere play around parts but if i want to make real power i think boosting it would be the way to go or do a stroker motor becaus if i stick with N/A im not going to make it past 500HP with out spraying it with nitrous. i just want to know what you guy think build N/A motor and fight for HP or just go boosted route and spend some more money?
Thanks,William
Its all what the end goal is! Boost is going to cost a ton more, but it comes down to how much you have to spend. 7 to 8 K for a FA car or a couple grand to through a shot of spray at her.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

the end goal would be 600 plus hp i can what and save the money for the boosted build but i don't want to do ten different builds i know a guy who has swap cams and heads out on his car every six months and it drives me crazy because he isn't getting a very large gain for the money he spend. i just want a solid build that will make a lot of power.
Thanks,William
Old 10-08-2013, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't be chasing a dyno number, you should have a end goal for what you want for your cars e/t. For what you want it sounds like a forced induction build is the way to go for you.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

yeah i know dyno number dont mean a whole lot because a 10 degree temperature change can make a car act differently but i figure it will go on the dyno atleast twice in its live so why not pull a good number and now i have to decide turbo or supercharger.
Thanks,William
Old 10-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Banned

if your going to drag race build a stroker and then put a turbo/supercharger/nos on it either way boring it out and stroking it before putting a FI system on it will only help your goal at making more power.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by "MAC"
if your going to drag race build a stroker and then put a turbo/supercharger/nos on it either way boring it out and stroking it before putting a FI system on it will only help your goal at making more power.
Only thing to add to this is depending on what you want either spray or boost will depend on the compression you decide on your engine.

What do you plan on doing with the car? Street only, drag, road race? All 3?
Old 10-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

drag/street im going to do a 383 stroker setup and bore it over .050 and compression still up in the air i want to be able to have street ability and have enough power to lay down so good times but i would really like to keep the aluminum ls1 block for weight reasons.
Thanks,William
Old 10-09-2013, 11:10 PM
Teching In

You'll have to decide on what type of FI your going with an that'll dictate your compression #'s
Old 10-09-2013, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

turbo looks to be the best route for big power but in terms of reliability supercharger are the best but how about 8 to 1 on twin turbo set up? honestly im use to 17 to 1 one compression on cummins trucks so im a little out of my comfort zone with my car.
Thanks,William
Old 10-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Banned

if you go twin turbo id just sell the LS1 and get the iron 6.0 honestly. Boosted cars and NOS cars the owners typically wanna go higher hp or more NOS that being said spending the extra money on an Iron block for insurances purposes (not car insurance) will allow you to sleep a little better at night. IMHO that is. I am in NO way shape or form saying the LS1 can not handle a twin turbo set up i just believe the iron 6.0 would be better thats all.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ws6fitz
Only thing to add to this is depending on what you want either spray or boost will depend on the compression you decide on your engine.

What do you plan on doing with the car? Street only, drag, road race? All 3?
Thanks for what you added i totally for got about the compression side of things.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stlfirebird
turbo looks to be the best route for big power but in terms of reliability supercharger are the best but how about 8 to 1 on twin turbo set up? honestly im use to 17 to 1 one compression on cummins trucks so im a little out of my comfort zone with my car.
Thanks,William
Is this going to be a street car or a drag only car ? 8:1 compression is WAY too low for street use.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Many stock turbo cars are 8:1 compression (1st and 2nd gen Eclipses/Talons are a prime example, 7.8:1 on the 90-94's, 8.5:1 on 95-99's, 95-99's had much less timing, while 90-94's had a very aggressive timing table), and they run great on the streets. You can make up with it by running more timing and or more boost (Boost will make more power than added timing will in most cases).

You CR should depend on the amount of your target boost level. Your target boost level should depend on the efficiency of the turbo you pick and the compressor map. Too much boost and you're pretty much blowing hot air. Too little boost and you're not really in the efficiency range of that specific turbo.

Personally if I were to do it, I'd have a CR around 10.0:1-10.5:1, a large single turbo and E85. E85 will allow you to run more timing and boost than 93 octane. Once you make that switch and re-tune for the higher octane fuel you will not want to switch back, large gains are to be made in FI applications by just switching to E85. I personally see no point in running twin turbos, it's more of a hassle than anything I feel.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can't bore a ls1 block much ,maybe .010 .
Old 10-10-2013, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

my 81 bird is at 7.5 to 1 and 9 pounds of boost i know a single turbo will allow me to have a little more room and the 6.0 thing is a big possibility im just getting input guys i appreciate it its helpful what about running duel fuel cell i know price wise it isnt great but i could then go from e85 to 93 with a switch i have seen it done but i never personal have done it.
Thanks,William

Quick Reply: what to build