11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

the flowmaster catback setup for fbodies does not flow well
Old 02-24-2014, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 99z28monster
Whats wrong with Flowmasters?
They may sound good (to some) but have been deamed "Chokemasters" and "Slowmasters" for a reason.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So perhaps avoid Flowmaster catbacks. I think just saying Flowmasters in general is a bit vague.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ragtopz28
They may sound good (to some) but have been deamed "Chokemasters" and "Slowmasters" for a reason.
My bet would be a lot of the issue is on the buyers selection of muffler. I can't see how a single chamber 10 series Flowmaster would choke or slow down anything. Now for the guys throwing the 80 series muffler on their car sure I can see that moniker being accurate. ( doesn't the catback use the 80 series )

My personal opinion is I would only use the 10 series Flowmaster mufflers on my car. Otherwise there are plenty of other options that would be better suited for a F-body.

I am not trying to argue this point one way or the other. Just playing devils advocate so that others that might read the thread can see both sides of the Flowmaster debate. To often people just throw out that Flowmaster mufflers or just Flowmaster in general will slow your car down, or reduce performance which is just not true on all applications. Parts need to be researched and understood before you whip out the wallet and start buying parts.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My bet would be a lot of the issue is on the buyers selection of muffler. I can't see how a single chamber 10 series Flowmaster would choke or slow down anything. Now for the guys throwing the 80 series muffler on their car sure I can see that moniker being accurate. ( doesn't the catback use the 80 series )

My personal opinion is I would only use the 10 series Flowmaster mufflers on my car. Otherwise there are plenty of other options that would be better suited for a F-body.

I am not trying to argue this point one way or the other. Just playing devils advocate so that others that might read the thread can see both sides of the Flowmaster debate. To often people just throw out that Flowmaster mufflers or just Flowmaster in general will slow your car down, or reduce performance which is just not true on all applications. Parts need to be researched and understood before you whip out the wallet and start buying parts.
Better stated^^ I stand corrected.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats wrong with Flowmasters?
The cat-back system for our cars is almost as restrictive as the stock system. I think its the 80 series but im not sure.

Edit, just read your above posts, agreed.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bhwunder
I've read a ton of stuff I can do with my car but what are the biggest things I should avoid doing to it??
Don't let ANYONE "talk you into" $2500 + Aftermarket Cylinder Heads, unless you REALLY NEED them . . . In other words, it better be a High-Dollar "Dedicated Race Car" . . . "BIG BUCK" Motor, etc If you're NOT running faster than LOW 10's in the 1/4 mile, you don't "NEED" them ! ! !

Last edited by ez2cdave; 02-24-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A heads and cam go together. Find someone that knows both so that they match with the intake you are going to use. My biggest mistake was a Granatelli Maf which everyone said were garbage. I eventually sold it to a friend of mine who was infatuated with it as I was and still has issues trying to get his car to run well.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

What a great thread, reged.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

So since its the 80 series specifically that's killing the performance, my Flowmaster American Thunder series exhaust is slowing the car down? Oh well, not like it matters due to my car having the 3.4 anyway. At least it sounds good
Old 02-24-2014, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ez2cdave
Don't let ANYONE "talk you into" $2500 + Aftermarket Cylinder Heads, unels you REALLY NEED them . . . In other words, it be a High-Dollar "Dedicated Race Car" . . . "BIG BUCK" Motor, etc If you're NOT running faster than LOW 10's in the 1/4 mile, you don't "NEED" them ! ! !
That's definitely something I will need to look at more down the road since there's so many H/C setups depending on what exactly I want
Old 02-24-2014, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's definitely something I will need to look at more down the road since there's so many H/C setups depending on what exactly I want

Take you time and get "real information", not just "forum talk" or from a vendor who just wants to "make a buck" by taking your hard-earned cash . . . By the time you "NEED" them, you will probably be on your 2nd or 3rd engine by then.

"Speed Costs Money . . . How Fast Do You Want To Go ?" is an OLD saying . . . SLOW DOWN and make SOUND DECISIONS !
Old 02-24-2014, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Take your time and get "real information", not just "forum talk", or from a vendor who just wants to "make a buck", by taking your hard-earned cash . . . By the time you "NEED" them, you will probably be on your 2nd or 3rd engine by then.

"Speed Costs Money . . . How Fast Do You Want To Go ?" is an OLD saying . . . SLOW DOWN and make SOUND DECISIONS . . . Often times, LESS is MORE !
Old 02-25-2014, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BCaywood
So since its the 80 series specifically that's killing the performance, my Flowmaster American Thunder series exhaust is slowing the car down? Oh well, not like it matters due to my car having the 3.4 anyway. At least it sounds good
Maybe, maybe not. I have seen mixed results. Some people make more power others lose power. It is not one of the best flowing exhausts on the market, but there is nothing wrong with it. I have one on my car. I'm not a racer either. If I was concerned with a couple ponies here and there I would have picked something else.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

what should you avoid? spending too much money! its easy to do. i've tried to enjoy my car & do alittle something each year to keep me interested without blasting the budget to kingdom come. dont turn your car into a moneypit. just my one cent, the car & the divorce took the rest! (j/k). ps theres always somebody faster, unless you run top fuel.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

78 Firebird TA had a 8.5" 10 bolt,almost as strong as the 8.8" 12 bolt.
GM basic 10 bolts over the years were 7.5/7.625(ours and very very weak),8.2" pretty decent as lot of the 60s' muscle cars with gobs of torque came with them,and 8.5" very strong.
Since you're a 6 speed and a crappy 7.625" 10 bolt,avoid launches on sticky high traction tires and avoid wheel hop(destroys our 10 bolts) by getting decent shocks and adding LCA relocation brackets.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
what should you avoid? spending too much money! its easy to do. i've tried to enjoy my car & do alittle something each year to keep me interested without blasting the budget to kingdom come. dont turn your car into a moneypit. just my one cent, the car & the divorce took the rest! (j/k). ps theres always somebody faster, unless you run top fuel.
Yeah i'll definitely have to spread my purchases, college sucks too much money Atleast I aint married so I dont have to worry bout a woman

Quick Reply: What should I AVOID doing??