Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Trans-Am owner, fueling question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Trans-Am owner, fueling question

Hello all,
My name is Darren, brand new to this forum. I hope this question is posted in the correct area. I just recently bought a 2001 Trans-Am with 72k on it. It was traded in to where I work with a massive vacuum leak. I smoke tested the engine and found the intake/galley plate leaking heavily. I replaced the intake runner gaskets and valley plate gasket with the blue fel-pro replacements (appeared to be high quality gaskets). After replacing them the short term fuel trims returned to what seems to be an acceptable number on both banks at idle (around 3.6%-6.0%) however the long terms still seem to creep up to around 15%-19% after running for a while. The engine light has not come back on with lean codes. I have no idea how long it was being driven with the massive leak so I'm not sure if the O2s may be fouled. Another few things, it still has a low quality aftermarket airfilter, I have not changed the oil yet and I just put $30 worth of 91 octane in it. It seems to run pretty well at idle with some very light engine shake (may be normal, I don't know these cars that well yet). My next steps were going to be oil change, airfilter, spark plugs, injection clean, fuel filter and a few decent drives with some rapid acceleration. Any thoughts? Thanks!
BTW I ensured I followed the correct torque sequences as I assumed those were critical numbers.

Last edited by RealmCenter; 03-12-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Quick Reply: New Trans-Am owner, fueling question