Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to buy?

Well my dad sent me a gift card for Summit Racing for my birthday, and I was trying to figure out what I wanted to get with it. Before I bought my 02 camaro, I had big plans. I wanted to slap in the biggest cam I could find with the best heads to match it. Now that I own it, I kind of like it the way it is. A little more power wouldn't hurt at all by all means, but I don't really think I see myself doings heads/cam in the near future at least.

What I really wanted was a MGW shifter (my car is a 6 speed btw), but summit doesn't sell MGW (whyyyyyy) so I am thinking of going with a nice set of long tube headers with a catted y-pipe. Then I was going to go to Bill Wright in Erie, PA to get a tune (has anyone heard of this guy so I know he has a good reputation before I go) so I can really make use of my headers. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Budget for entire thing (headers/y-pipe/gaskets/tune) is $1,000.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would do a catback before headers and Y pipe. A lid for the air box and ram air would give you some nice gains. You could also wait for bigger mods to have the car tuned as well.

Here's a link to the lid and ram air I'm talking about...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sle-21047

Here's the cat back I'm currently running, flows great, somewhat quiet while crusing and screams at WOT...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ho...t/model/camaro

Last edited by conan; 05-09-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by conan
I would do a catback before headers and Y pipe. A lid for the air box and ram air would give you some nice gains. You could also wait for bigger mods to have the car tuned as well.

Here's a link to the lid and ram air I'm talking about...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sle-21047

Here's the cat back I'm currently running, flows great, somewhat quiet while crusing and screams at WOT...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ho...t/model/camaro
Sorry forgot to say, the car came with an SLP loud mouth 2 catback along with an SLP lid.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Suspension mods.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Suspension mods.
I was looking into this but I really don't think it would make a huge difference to me. I don't do autocross, and I don't do drag racing. Just a weekend warrior. I don't want to lower the car any either as I like the stock ride height.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 7SEALS
Sorry forgot to say, the car came with an SLP loud mouth 2 catback along with an SLP lid.
Ya, headers and a Y pipe would be a good choice then.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:04 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure how close you are to Pittsburgh, but since you're looking at having a tune done in Erie, maybe you'd come down 79 a bit for www.domin8tuned.com (and obviously our sponsors could help, but location-wise it may not be logistical).

I was also going to suggest some suspension stuff, but if you don't care much for racing then stock is likely fine.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Not sure how close you are to Pittsburgh, but since you're looking at having a tune done in Erie, maybe you'd come down 79 a bit for www.domin8tuned.com (and obviously our sponsors could help, but location-wise it may not be logistical).

I was also going to suggest some suspension stuff, but if you don't care much for racing then stock is likely fine.
That sounds like a good idea. How far exactly are you from Erie, and is it safe to drive a car with long tubes that far without a tune?
Old 05-09-2014, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

I think I am going to pull the trigger on 1 3/4" hooker stainless long tubes along with a texas speed catted y-pipe, anything I should know about before I order?
Old 05-10-2014, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Go for some 1-7/8 headers if the price doesn't affect you much.

Quick Reply: What to buy?