Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning oil

2000 5.3 gmc sierra 133000km

Noticed I've been burning a little more oil then I'm comfortable with. Lost about .5L within 400km of driving after oil change. Replacing pcv valve with updated TSB one when it arrives. But I've noticed my number one spark plug has oil coming out of it from the head. Truck does not misfire drives fine and zero smoke. I know without compression tests won't be much help but what could it be, valve guides, rings? Would a catch can system help?
Old 05-11-2014, 01:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Every time I've had what looks like oil coming out of a spark plug hole (oil on spark plug threads, oil on head weeping down from hole), it's always been due to a leaking valve cover gasket. If you were blowing enough oil past the rings or valve guides to have it actually leaking out the spark plug hole, you'd see a ton of smoke coming out the exhaust and the engine wouldn't be running well. In fact, even then I doubt you'd actually see oil coming out past the plug threads.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a crappy picture of what I have leaking. I'll try and get a better one tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Burning oil