Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Should I Do First?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Should I Do First?

So I just bought a 1999 Trans Am with 78,000 miles on her and she already has an UD pulley, LS6 intake, intake lid, ported TB and MAF, stage 3 shift kit, EGR and AIR delete, manual fan controls, pacesetter long tubes, off road y pipe, and SLP LM1 catback. Also has various UMI suspension components. Needs a base tune to get emissions codes wiped, but other than that what should I do next? I don't know of any other 'bolt ons." What can I do thats cheap for now while I save up some bucks for possible heads/cam? Any tips about the car would be appreciated!
Old 06-10-2014, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You want some cheap go fast mods...is that what you are saying?
Old 06-10-2014, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

Stall converter should be first on your list
Old 06-10-2014, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

drive and enjoy it .check out Texas Speed and vengeance racing parts and prices .
Old 06-10-2014, 09:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madmike9396
Stall converter should be first on your list
ding ,ding ,ding

it will be a different beast with a nice stall , but don't cheap out and buy a turd of a convertor , check out circle d they are a sponsor and extremely active in the transmission section helping wherever needed. Usually the biggest complaint is people wishing they had gone bigger and especially where your looking to cam later on 4 grand or so is the sweet spot
Old 06-11-2014, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Def. A stall 3600-4000.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by murphinator
ding ,ding ,ding

it will be a different beast with a nice stall , but don't cheap out and buy a turd of a convertor , check out circle d they are a sponsor and extremely active in the transmission section helping wherever needed. Usually the biggest complaint is people wishing they had gone bigger and especially where your looking to cam later on 4 grand or so is the sweet spot
How difficult is the install on a torque converter?
Old 06-12-2014, 05:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Install isn't too bad.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you do add a stall you should add a cooler & consider an sfi flexplate (upgrade over stock). if you get any wheelhop do some suspension mods sfc, lca, ta & panh. not cheap but that will put all your power to the ground.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
if you do add a stall you should add a cooler & consider an sfi flexplate (upgrade over stock). if you get any wheelhop do some suspension mods sfc, lca, ta & panh. not cheap but that will put all your power to the ground.
My car already has a tranny cooler, pan hard, lca, and ta.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

where you from ? maybe a good LS specialty shop someone knows of close to you that could do the install since it doesn't sound like its something you have dealt with before.

Most if not all quality convertor manufacturers will offer a one time free re-stall on a new convertor to be sure you are a happy customer , I mentioned circle d earlier , yank is another popular convertor around here ,I have a vigilante in one of my cars but it was there when I bought it don't know if they are still very active but it works well and there is a new sponsor recently trying to establish themselves on here something like north texas convertors...

As for choosing the stall rpm I see a lot of people go conservative then restall up , don't often see people go the other way so if it were my money I would go 4k stall and if its too loose exercise that restall option and drop it to 3600 like Monmouth city suggested for the lower end of his suggestion of 3600-4000. but all the convertor sponsors will take into account your mods ,goals , weight ,gearing ,tire height , etc... and help you choose the right stall its what they do for a living.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by murphinator
where you from ? maybe a good LS specialty shop someone knows of close to you that could do the install since it doesn't sound like its something you have dealt with before.

Most if not all quality convertor manufacturers will offer a one time free re-stall on a new convertor to be sure you are a happy customer , I mentioned circle d earlier , yank is another popular convertor around here ,I have a vigilante in one of my cars but it was there when I bought it don't know if they are still very active but it works well and there is a new sponsor recently trying to establish themselves on here something like north texas convertors...

As for choosing the stall rpm I see a lot of people go conservative then restall up , don't often see people go the other way so if it were my money I would go 4k stall and if its too loose exercise that restall option and drop it to 3600 like Monmouth city suggested for the lower end of his suggestion of 3600-4000. but all the convertor sponsors will take into account your mods ,goals , weight ,gearing ,tire height , etc... and help you choose the right stall its what they do for a living.
I'm near Orland Park, IL. I haven't done anything like a stall before but I have 2 buddies with a TA and camaro that are running some 495+ RWHP NA setups with experience. I think the 2 big shops by me are Straightline Performance and Speed Inc. I'm sure with the right equipment I could handle the stall, just haven't looked to see whats involved. Would you recommend putting the money into a stall first or investing into a Trickflow heads/cam kit?
Old 06-13-2014, 05:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ekordas
Would you recommend putting the money into a stall first or investing into a Trickflow heads/cam kit?
that's easy, a cam without a stall is generally a turd you will need the stall in place by the time you do the cam , plenty of bolt on/stalled cars around here that outperform heads/cam cars at the track if they aren't stalled , cam without stall is a bad idea
Old 06-13-2014, 05:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

stall first
Old 06-14-2014, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The y-pipe will have to come off to pull the transmission for the converter so that would also be a good time to add a Flowmaster merge to that y-pipe or just switch to a TSP y-pipe. It also would be a good time to upgrade to some 1-7/8's headers, they wont be worth any hp now but will be when you add heads and a cam and if your paying someone to do the work it will save you some money on labor in the long run.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:47 AM

Like most have said, a good converter should be next on your list. Circle D, Yank, Coan all offer top notch converters. Edge is a good cheap alternative.

Quick Reply: What Should I Do First?