New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hell yeah, I want that Alu 6.0L V8......but where is that old V8 rumble??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercier
I guess that's what doors and a roof will do for you.

I'm going to find a sound bar from a later Jeep and hack it in. Figure if it's 3" from your ear you'll probably hear at least some of it.
True.

My bar for audio is probably lower, as well. I have two 5 inch speakers that are internally amped on my Harley and have a small quarter fairing, so I'm used to washed-out sound.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh I don't give two ***** about sound quality but apparently my girlfriend wants to ride with me once in a while for some reason.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:35 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mercier
Here's a clip that I think gets pretty close. This is LS2 (6.0L aluminum V8) with 2.5" run-of-the-mill aluminized pipe, no crossover, 40-series Flowmasters("2-chambers" - YES I still call them that ), and even with 1-5/8" shorty headers since I can't find long tubes to fit my application. 222/228/112 cam. Also I couldn't put the exhaust out the back because of space around the factory fuel tank. I think with long tubes, exhaust straight out the back it would be even more in the direction you guys are referring to. Fuel injection and improved head design has smoothed things out a little but there is not reason you can't get old-school sound IMO. I do still have a little more tuning to do but that's a fairly steady 800RPM idle. Might bump it down to 700-750 to make it sound a little meaner.

You need to listen to this on some decent speakers with a little bass to them to get the full effect..sounds like crap on a phone. The second video is from a slight angle so you can get more of an idea how much different the sound is straight out of the pipe. You get more of that sound waves bouncing off of metal effect(which i personally like)

85 CJ7, LS2, 222/228/112 Cam, 2.5" Flowmasters Idle Exhaust Clip - YouTube

85 CJ7, LS2, 222/228/112 Cam, 2.5" Flowmasters Idle Exhaust Clip - Angle for different sound - YouTube
Your exhaust is the same as I have on my 67 (2.5", no x-over & 2 chambers) And they dont sound too different (mine sounds deeper in person than it does in the vid though)

Especially given that mine is a gen1 355 w/9.5:1cr and a 230/236 110 cam
Old 03-03-2015, 12:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's good ol' Flowmasters bridging the gap! Won't impress the late-model or import guys but that's kinda the point.

Only setup that is more iconic/more recognizable to /me/ is 87-93 Fox-body Mustang LX 5.0 with stock shorties, a catless H-pipe, 2-chambers, and the 2.5" stainless tails all the way straight out the back. I can hear one of those literally a mile away. Sweet music. Sold my black on black coupe a couple of years ago. Still miss it. :'(

I hate to post someone else's video but it's the best one I could quickly find. Obviously the 40s and obviously this guy could get a better microphone but you get the idea. This sound is as "modern" as I'm willing to go:

Last edited by Mercier; 03-03-2015 at 12:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Hell yeah, I want that Alu 6.0L V8......but where is that old V8 rumble??