Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice on next purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on next purchase

I had a 2000 z28 with a list of mods done under the car but other than a lid. catback, and tune the car performance wise was nothing special. I'm looking into a 2000 trans am that is a whole different animal.

Here is some mods and info.
75K miles, 1 owner, adult driven, car has always been garaged, never been on a track, clean! Modifications: PRC 5.3L Stage 2.5 Heads, Custom TR231-235 camshaft with new lifters (around 57K miles), LS6 Intake Manifold, Ported Throttle body, Cold Air Intake, TNT 150 Nitrous Oxide System (maybe 6 bottles have been run), Pacesetter headers/ORY, Hooker cat-back. Transmission rebuilt around 59K- steel shift fork, carbon blocker rings, new 1-2 synchronizer and the other usual upgrades, lightweight steel flywheel, McLeod twin disk clutch with all new hydraulics, Hurst short shifter, Moser Ford 9 inch rear with TruTrac differential, 31 spline, 411 gears, APC aluminum drive shaft. D-Force Wheels and BF Goodrich TA KDW tires, Koni shocks all around, Hotchkiss hollow front sway bar, Strano rear sway bar, Spohn adjustable Torque Arm, BMR tubular LCAs with relocation brackets, BMR tubular adjustable panhard bar and sub-frame connectors. Wolfe 5 Point Roll Bar, Corbeau Fiberglass seats, rear seats deleted, light weight carpet, console deleted, AC deleted, ABS deleted. Optima battery. custom rear spoiler, sail panel replaced, repainted 3 years ago. This car looks, handles, and runs great

I believe the guy is a part of the forums, I just do not want to purchase a headache.. I went and checked it out today and have a video of it running if that helps. The motor looked like it could use a good cleaning but other than that it was 100%. I'm just hesitant due to the level of modification. The only problem is the alternative is to build one myself which will cost the upwards of 19k or i buy this one for 8k....

PLEASE GET BACK TO ME!!!
Attached Thumbnails Need Advice on next purchase-10521337_10152549772706926_4968867089039578266_n.jpg  
Old 06-29-2014, 03:34 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Blake
...never been on a track...

TNT 150 Nitrous Oxide System (maybe 6 bottles have been run),....Wolfe 5 Point Roll Bar, Corbeau Fiberglass seats, rear seats deleted, light weight carpet, console deleted, AC deleted, ABS deleted.
...that's a strange group of modifications for a street-only cruiser. I would not go into this assuming that the car has been babied. Track or not, you can bet it has seen plenty of WOT action.

Like any modified car, you have to go with your gut feeling on whether or not it's worth it. All you can do is look for obvious signs of trouble and try to get a feel for how honest the seller is.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

...that's a strange group of modifications for a street-only cruiser. I would not go into this assuming that the car has been babied. Track or not, you can bet it has seen plenty of WOT action.

Like any modified car, you have to go with your gut feeling on whether or not it's worth it. All you can do is look for obvious signs of trouble and try to get a feel for how honest the seller is.
Track or not it has definitely been driven. The guy who owns it was the first and only owner of the car which I like to hear and was a very honest guy. The thing seems to run and drive fine I'm just hesitant because I'm worried the motor won't last.

The owner has swapped cams multiple times, this is actually his 4th cam in the car. My biggest fear is not truly knowing the car. it has a lot of weight reduction and etc done and to another enthusiast this car is worth 8k all day but given the circumstances if i brought this to a dealership they wouldn't give me 2 grand due to the level of mods. I want a streetable drag car. Given this will be my daily driver.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Track or not it has definitely been driven.
I'm just curious why the owner would make it a point to say "never been on a track", as if to suggest that it hasn't been raced on driven hard (or at least this is the usual meaning when people state this, in my experience). I find this suggestion hard or even impossible to believe based on some of the info quoted above.

...I'm just hesitant because I'm worried the motor won't last...My biggest fear is not truly knowing the car...

I want a streetable drag car. Given this will be my daily driver.
To me, a heavily modified streeable drag car would be an undesirable daily driver, so our preferences seem to be different. Either way, nobody can give you any guaranties as to the longevity of the engine at this point. The reason why you can buy this car for so much less than what it would cost to build, with new parts, on your own is because of the risk you are assuming. If you are not comfortable with the risk, then you shouldn't buy the car.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

8k is a great price if it's in good running condition. Mine was very similar to this one in terms of mods and whatnot, but the motor spun a bearing a few months later
Old 06-29-2014, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
8k is a great price if it's in good running condition. Mine was very similar to this one in terms of mods and whatnot, but the motor spun a bearing a few months later

That is exactly what I'm afraid of. I think I would be more ok with the scenario given I had even more aside for repairs but unfortunately that is not the case.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doesnt sound like a car id want to dd, but sounds like one id love to have for weekend warrior duty. then again im getting older and drive the suv to work most days. for 8k if it has no "major" problems id probably think about it, good deal imo
but like RPM said, just because its "never been to track" doesnt mean it hasnt been raced to hell and back. of all my wot hits, maybe 5-10% were at track lol.
basicly comes down to if you believe owner about condition, and are willing to fix something if it breaks later.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on next purchase