New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fan relay pic.. help..

Old 07-09-2014, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fan relay pic.. help..

Hey I need help guys im new to this form but been reading on it for a while I need to use my 2000 camaro for work and I believe my electric fan relays arnt set In Correctly if someone can post a pic of there relays for I can compare need to get the overheating fixed before I install the go fast goods. Thanks...
Old 07-10-2014, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your thinking that they are upside down it doesn't matter. They will work either way.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:23 AM

I was thinking more like if one was diffrent or is suppose to be different part # cuz I just got the car not too long ago and one of the fan relays is a different part # but also the car didn't have a tstat just installed one still testin it out to see if that was the problem. Thanks tho
Old 07-18-2014, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Are your fans not kicking on at all as the temperature of the car rises? Does the temperature drop as you start driving, or does it steadily climb no matter what? If the car is overheating during normal driving, you've got more issues than a simple fan relay. Unless you live in a hot area and drive in nothing but stop and go.

Also, a lack of a t-stat wouldn't cause an overheating issue. If anything, it would cause the car to never fully warm up during normal driving conditions (except again, stop and go driving).

I will see if I can post a picture later today of the fan relay/fuse box.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:09 AM

Car dosnt overheat when in high speed cuz of the glowing airflow but does in stop and go traffic its hot here in south texas. I never here my high speed fans kick in yesterday drove it till temp got up to the 3rd quarter line and still no high speed fans as I keep seen the schmatic looks like one goes upside down im confused
Old 07-19-2014, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fan relay pic, 2002 camaro ss.
years ago i was messing inside the fuse box to do the manual fan switch mod so i marked them to be safe.
look up "fan switch mod",
there are 2 wires running from those relays back to the pcm.
the pcm grounds one wire and both fans come on slow speed,
pcm grounds both wires and both fans come on high speed,
if you ground one wire out of the two and it's the wrong one then only one fan will come on high speed. what i would do to troubleshoot is manually ground the relays and see if your fans come on, i think the easiest way is to unclip the wire harness on passenger side containing the two fan wires and use a little alligator clip to reach and touch the correct pin inside, otherwise use a scotchlok inline connector to tap into the wires. you can do this with engine off key out of ignition.
Attached Thumbnails fan relay pic.. help..-frelay.jpg  

Last edited by 1 FMF; 07-19-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pics of the connector on passenger side, it's the one of the 3 closest to front of car.
the wires are easy and right on top, blue and green wire in the center, blue wire is in pin position H and the green wire to the right of it in pin position J. if you tap into those and connect both to ground, both your fans should come on high speed. if you connect just the green wire to ground, that's both fans low speed. if you connect just the blue wire to ground, then just the right fan will go high speed and left fan will be off.

if you're wondering about those 2 resistors in the pic, and there's 2 diodes there below them, that's where i tapped into those 2 wires for my fan switch mod. The resistors and diodes are used to prevent the PCM from throwing the check engine light when manually operating the fans- the pcm sees ground on the circuit which it didn't do and thinks there's a problem. by using the diodes and resistors you can manually switch the fans on and the pcm doesn't know.
Attached Thumbnails fan relay pic.. help..-f2.jpg   fan relay pic.. help..-f3.jpg  
Old 08-06-2014, 12:22 PM

Sorry all late but..Thanks for the help will be doing that fan mod havent had time to work on it will be posting how it went when finished.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fan relay pic.. help..