Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pressure question

Old 07-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure question

Hey Guys..

I just finished my LS1 300zx conversion, and am trying to get it dialed in.

I am running a return style fuel rail with adjustable FPR, and am curious what the fuel pressure should be set at?

The z motor was 38 lbs of pressure at idle, and I am wondering if that is adequate, or if I need to crank the pressure up because I read that the regulator in the stock configuration LS cars maintained 54 pounds all the way form idle to WOT.

Any input is appreciated.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At startup my return-style 5.3 (2002-earlier) setup runs almost 58. The vacuum signal to the on-rail regulator modifies it somewhat. High vacuum(idle) seems to give me about 48-54 and when I induce a low vacuum situation (quickly open TB) it spikes up to almost 58. This is measured by a Harbor Freight fuel pressure gauge on the test port so don't take these numbers as exact but that's the neighborhood. I suppose if you have a proper tune the lack of a vacuum-referenced FPR wouldn't matter much but that's how the stock return-style deal works, at least on a truck LS. In theory, since you have aftermarket adjustable regulator and would need a tune, you /could/ set it at whatever you want and make the tune work it out by adjusting pulse and such. At any rate, I think 58 is the number you are looking for.

I believe later LS all went to returnless and I guess would have semi-constant rail pressure.

Good luck!
Old 07-11-2014, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercier
At startup my return-style 5.3 (2002-earlier) setup runs almost 58. The vacuum signal to the on-rail regulator modifies it somewhat. High vacuum(idle) seems to give me about 48-54 and when I induce a low vacuum situation (quickly open TB) it spikes up to almost 58. This is measured by a Harbor Freight fuel pressure gauge on the test port so don't take these numbers as exact but that's the neighborhood. I suppose if you have a proper tune the lack of a vacuum-referenced FPR wouldn't matter much but that's how the stock return-style deal works, at least on a truck LS. In theory, since you have aftermarket adjustable regulator and would need a tune, you /could/ set it at whatever you want and make the tune work it out by adjusting pulse and such. At any rate, I think 58 is the number you are looking for.

I believe later LS all went to returnless and I guess would have semi-constant rail pressure.

Good luck!
Thanks Mercier...

The AFr's during cruise conditions are almost perfect, and that may be because I am vacuum referencing the regulator. So under less vaccum at cruise, the pressure goes up, so the AFR is closer to balanced. But I am fighting like hell to get a steady idle.

I can make it idle fine at about 1000 RPM, but I want a lower idle. If I close the butterfly or the IACV to bring it down, then it starts hunting. I am thinking fuel pressure may be the culprit.

I been messing with motors and cars since I was about 8 yrs old, but this is the first one that I have had to electronically tune on my own. I got a lot to learn.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At cruise and idle you should have high vacuum and low(er) pressure..stomp the throttle and vacuum goes down and pressure should go up. Have you checked for vacuum leaks? High/hunting idle points there first. #2 is bad or malfunctioning /dirty IAC or IAC port in the throttle body.

Hopefully some of the guys that tune their own stuff can help more.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel pressure question