New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non firehawk SLP...what's different?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non firehawk SLP...what's different?

Looking at buying a 99 Trans Am that the owner claims has factory SLP options. I see the SLP lid and a dual tips on the exhaust. I can't seem to find what was installed from SLP and what was different on these cars. I don't believe the car is a WS6 either because I don't see a ram air hood.

Any help would be appreciated! Trying to figure out what is different so I can make an educated decision. Looking to own my first LS1 this week!
Old 08-12-2014, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Unless he is selling you a
-A NHRA Formula
-A WS6
-A Real Firehawk (you can add different options from lid, rims, suspension etc)...
-MECHAM T/A

I'm sure their are some more as I'm no expert, put the seller most likely added these parts and is b'sing you. Good Luck.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:43 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no such thing as a "non-SLP" Firehawk. The fact of the matter is that unless it has RPO code WU6, then it's not a real Firehawk nor did it have anything to do with SLP.

With that said, it's always possible some dealership ordered a car and then put SLP parts on (or even sent the car to SLP in NJ; OE SLP cars were converted in Canada) and labeled it as something it's not. Either way, don't over pay for something that doesn't exist outside the owners' own mind.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ask for a pic of the option tag on the drivers door...
Old 08-12-2014, 06:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hardbones
ask for a pic of the option tag on the drivers door...
this. or some paperwork to back it up. rpo codes (usually lol) don't lie.
cud be guy before him threw a lid and dual/dual exhaust on it and "made" it what he wanted it to be
Old 08-12-2014, 06:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by demonspeed
There is no such thing as a "non-SLP" Firehawk. The fact of the matter is that unless it has RPO code WU6, then it's not a real Firehawk nor did it have anything to do with SLP.
This.

It is not possible to have "factory" SLP options on an LS1 F-body unless it came with RPO WU6 (Firehawk) or WU8 (SS). Even a WS6 car could not have SLP options stock, since LS1 WS6s were converted by ASC and not SLP.

Also, the optional "SLP air lid" was a Blackwing and it looks very different from the common SLP lids that people buy on the aftermarket. Furthermore, there was no optional SLP/Blackwing lid for the '99 cars (Firehawk or SS) anyway.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A factory WS6 would have a ram air hood and WS6 badging under the passenger's tail lamp. The WS6 rpo code should be on the driver's door sticker among the list of all rpo codes. The VIN # on that sticker should match the VIN on the dash. I might be wrong but I think all WS6's came with the WS6 specific 17" chrome wheels. 16" wheels/tires would be incorrect - including painted ones. I know one could order the performance 3" stainless steel exhaust on a '99 SS - this would have twin exhaust tips on each side and it would be listed on the SLP options sticker. I'm not sure if you could get those with the WS6...as the upgrade to those cars was the Firehawk model and the extra SLP options that were available with it at extra cost.

The odds seem very remote to me that anyone would toss a perfectly good WS6 ram air hood or an even more desirable Firehawk hood and replace it with a standard hood.

Last edited by Firebrian; 08-12-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:42 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebrian
I know one could order the performance 3" stainless steel exhaust on a '99 SS - this would have twin exhaust tips on each side and it would be listed on the SLP options sticker. I'm not sure if you could get those with the WS6...
There were no options available with the WS6 package other than what was available directly from GM for the Firebird.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:52 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

So to sum up: one of the car's owners added some aftermarket SLP pieces to the car and the current owner is labeling it a "non-Firehawk SLP car." Nothing wrong with that unless he's claiming it's some special edition and asking a high price for it. So your purchase decision depends on whether you like the car, believe it to be sound, and can get it at fair price - regardless of what he calls it.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

I might be wrong but I think all WS6's came with the WS6 specific 17" chrome wheels.
No chrome wheels were available for the WS6 during the LS1 years, all were high polished (except for the black CETA wheels) and clear coated aluminum. There were WS6-styled wheels available from the aftermarket that were identical in style and size but that had a chrome finish, someone might try to pass those off as stock but they were not. There were three different wheel styles used during '98-'02 production:

- 1998-1999, RPO "QF6" High polished 5-spoke

- 2000, (standard) RPO "N66" High polished 3-spoke "swirly" (very rare, most were ordered with the following), and (optional) "QF6" High polished 5-spoke

- 2001-2002 "Speedline" style 5-spoke (don't have the RPO handy, but this is the same wheel style as used on '95 Firehawk as well as the Comp T/As), also optional was the black version of the "QF6" wheels that was only available on CETA models.

All were 17x9".

I know one could order the performance 3" stainless steel exhaust on a '99 SS - this would have twin exhaust tips on each side and it would be listed on the SLP options sticker. I'm not sure if you could get those with the WS6...as the upgrade to those cars was the Firehawk model and the extra SLP options that were available with it at extra cost.
As correctly stated above by demonspeed, there were no SLP options available for the LS1 WS6 cars.

The SLP upgrade exhaust was standard on Firehawk, optional on SS.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup, no such thing.

Quick Reply: Non firehawk SLP...what's different?