Sponsored by:

which would you pick? near stock 2000 ws6 or modded rear 1998 ws6

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default which would you pick? near stock 2000 ws6 or modded rear 1998 ws6

EDIT: UPDATE
SO there was a big price change on the 98 transam(6500). its now 1k cheaper than the 00. Im really considering this instead.

Im looking to pick up another t/a
theres two in my area that i really like.

2000 ws6/m6 has lsp lid and cutout. black/black
rear end is leaking a bit(normal?) should just be a gasket im assuming but never fixed one before. 6 speed. 100k miles.
cracked door panel trim & torn drivers seat bolster

looks clean.

or

1998 ws6/m6 black/gray. seller says needs lil things.(i havent ask yet what they are - awaiting funding to clear)
but 159k miles, looks clean, good part is that it already has 12 bolt rear axle with 3.73 gears, eaton posi and 33 spline axles

Looks wise both are clean. interior wise I would prefer the ebony.
Im leaning towards the 00 b/c of the lower miles and ebony interior.
however im a bit worried about the rear end. since the guy installed a cutout im just going to assume he beats on it. this is also priced 1k less

but the 98 has the rear end already done. thats 2.8k part alone that i do not have to do or worry about.
Im sure this guy also beats on it so usage wise i will assume is the same.
however at 1k more than the 01. the "little things" could easily add up to acouple hundred dollars(which isnt a big deal as I plan to keep the car)

down side 98 seems to be least desirable and his asking 1k more b/c of rear end upgrade im assuming. should i resell in the future this is definitely a down side.

another downside is that its a moser unit. from what i read they arent very good units and people are having issues with it. Id hate to buy the car b/c of it and then the unit malfunction. gearing is also not my prefered gearing. I was leaning towards 4.10 or 3.9

which would you go with?

power plans are bolt ons to start.
then move on to head/cams
so 400-450whp

after that i may or may not add nitrous just yet.

but for sure in a few years forced induction to 550whp but where talking 3-4 years from now and at that time i can buy whatever rear end i want. money wont be an issue then.

what im after is reliability w/ h/c/i and worried about stock rear holding.
no track plans but rear tires will be dr nitto 315

Last edited by LS325ci; 08-15-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would go 2001.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by LS325ci
down side 98 seems to be least desirable
I actually prefer the '98s, specifically ones built before 05/98, since they don't need roof panel replacement (here is a link in case you weren't aware of this issue: https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...e-dummies.html ). This is a bigger deal for hardtop cars, but still a hassle for the t-top models. The other things that make a '98 different either just don't matter to me or I actually prefer them, but not everyone feels the same.

Sounds like both cars have some concerns, and both will probably need money put into them. I'd go with the one that you feel better about sinking money into long term. If you're not happy with the rear in the '98, and like the interior on the '01 better, and the '01 is also cheaper with lower miles....well then I guess the '01 would be the better choice for you.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by conan
I would go 2001.
i agree but expect either to need some type of repairs.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

I would take the 2001, less miles , and I wouldn't want the 12 bolt, had one in mine and got tired of the whine. Put a mwc 9 in and it is a lot quieter + stronger! I've seen 12 bolts break over and over with hard launch and slicks with 450+ whp
Old 08-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Launching!

OPS edited. I meant 2000 NOT 2001.
i dont know what i was thinking.

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I actually prefer the '98s, specifically ones built before 05/98, since they don't need roof panel replacement (here is a link in case you weren't aware of this issue: https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...e-dummies.html ). This is a bigger deal for hardtop cars, but still a hassle for the t-top models. The other things that make a '98 different either just don't matter to me or I actually prefer them, but not everyone feels the same.

Sounds like both cars have some concerns, and both will probably need money put into them. I'd go with the one that you feel better about sinking money into long term. If you're not happy with the rear in the '98, and like the interior on the '01 better, and the '01 is also cheaper with lower miles....well then I guess the '01 would be the better choice for you.
i was not aware of that. thanks ill have to check that.

yea the gear on the 98 wouldnt be my first choice but i figured changing it to 4.10 is pretty cheap vs whole rear. but then again i would much rather go with a different brand.

typo on my part btw its 2000 which still had the egr stuff.

Quick Reply: which would you pick? near stock 2000 ws6 or modded rear 1998 ws6